Wednesday, August 19, 2009

my how the mighty have fallen

I have been a loyal fan and follower of Coach for years. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for their keyrings and wristlets, and if you have been friends with me long enough, odds are you probably have received either a keyring or a wristlet from me as a gift. Like several other companies lately, I feel my love affair with Coach declining. More and more of the pieces that they make are just not me, and are getting louder and flashier by the minute. I received the latest Coach catalog a couple of days ago which focuses on the new Poppy collection. In it, Coach asks "Are you Poppy?" I can proudly say that no, I am not. Here's why.

The best way to sum up the fall collection is sequins. And then sequins. And just for good measure, some more sequins. Take for instance this Sequin XL Spotlight bag, $598.
Why, why, why does it need so many sequins? Is it starring all by itself in an off-Broadway show? $600 buys you a lot of sequins.

Looking for a pair of understated ballet flats for the fall? Walk straight past these babies then, if you can avoid being momentarily blinded by the neon colors. And even more sequins.

Shine Ballet Flats, $138
These shoes are adorable for your first day of school, if Green Eggs and Ham is on your class's required reading list. If you're any older than that, then just say no.

Don't call it a comeback, the eighties have been here for years, or so says this Nova Midtop Sneaker, $138.

I call this purse "Lisa Frank gone hardcore." Coach just calls it Evie, $198.

While there are some things on the Coach site that are quite lovely and blinding, I have to offer a big, loud, Le Sigh. Whatever happened to the days of a simple, solid color, well-made leather tote?

22 comments:

  1. I've always been a Coach fan too. This collection however has turned me off for the year. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh. These are bad. I went into a Coach outlet not that long ago, and it was completely packed full of teenagers. Coach has definitely headed down that road, never to return to its prior classiness. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coach has usually been my go to as well, but those sneakers and teh the sequins, just awful! I miss the clean line, beautiful colored leather I know and love them for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been feeling this way about Coach a lot the past few years!! It is too young looking and at times...dare i say...tacky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. agreed. I recently checked out their purses online and was immediately turned off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree - Maybe if I was a 17 year old I would love the new lines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been done with Coach for a while now. They have gone a little looney for my tastes. Give me a pure leather, well made handbag with clean lines over any of that garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so over Coach and really have been for a while. The only Coach bag I ever carry is the first "designer" purse I ever got. I absolutely love it, its from the mid-90's back when coach still did fabulous leather and was still all about the understated look I love. The new stuff really just looks crass to me, I simply refuse to pay so much for something that looks like it could have been purchased at Walmart of the Dollar Store!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to be a coach fan in middle school and parts of highschool. I still have my old wristlets and little purses from those days, but they just never make it out of my closet. Now, I am much more into longcahmps, VV, LV, and other more "grown up" bags. I think Coach is more for the middle school crowd, although the price tag is not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed. Coach went from a classic staple to trashy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just NOW heard about your blog from PreppyPrincess...love it! I agree with you about Coach, I just can't like it. Want to say I love the "Juice Photo!" You are scheduled for the week of October 5th, 2009. I look forward to following you:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg, this collection is just terrible! yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. totally agree with you girl!!! the collection is something my middle school kids would LOVE to wear or maybe when I was in elementary! YUCKY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go figure. My 11 year-old sister LOVES the new collection. I guess we know who their target audience is nowadays. I can still find nice, leather, well-made bags at the outlet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah - this all looks like 5th grades designed the fall line. And I know this because I live with a 5th grader.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh. I've seen several pairs of the sequined high-tops lately. They are horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YIKES...not of fan of any of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hear, Hear! Hilarious observation re: starring in a Broadway show by itself!

    ReplyDelete