Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Merhaba*

*That means hello in Turkish!

Hello hello. Just wanted to do a quick post to say hi to everyone. :) After two flights and a 5 hour layover in Germany, I am finally in Turkey with TLS! Today was my first day in Turkey. TLS had to go to work and I was on my own for the day in Ankara. We went to breakfast together after which I took a nap (totally healthy and doctor recommended), went to go work out, and walked around to explore the area around our hotel a bit.

I went to this local coffee shop chain that was completely new to me called Starbucks. Unlike its American counterparts, the Turkish Starbucks still have the seasonal holiday drinks out. In Turkey, one of their holiday drinks is a Dark Cherry Mocha which I just had to try. It was amazing and I wish that the American Starbucks would get on the bandwagon.

Our hotel is in a major shopping area so I did quite a bit of window shopping today. I am thinking that I may have to pick up a pair of Mavi jeans while I'm here. I got lunch and went back to the hotel to take a shower and relax. TLS got me a massage for 4. After which, he came home, we relaxed, went to the club lounge for wine and then out to dinner for sushi. Afterwards, we tried Salep. It is a traditional Turkish drink made from ground Orchids. It is served warm with cinnamon sprinkled on top. It was delicious and very sweet.


All in all, today was the perfect relaxing first day. Tomorrow, TLS is off work and we will be sightseeing around Ankara before New Year's Eve dinner. I promise to post pictures as soon as I can. I have gotten requests for postcards from a few readers and have offered to send cards to anyone who is interested. If you would like a card, please email me your address to whaleflipflops {@} gmail {.} com. Even if you have sent it to me in the past, please just resend the info as it is a lot easier on me. I hope everyone had a lovely day.

7 comments:

  1. ooh a Turkish Starbucks sounds delish! Hope you're enjoying yourself! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I laughed a little that you went to starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad You Made it! Can't wait to hear of all your travels!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful day, especially the massage! We're so glad you are having fun and relaxing! Hugs and Happy New Year!
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're having a nice time. That drink from Starbucks sounds unique and delish. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. Glad you arrived safely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turkey!! I'm so jealous :) Glad to hear you're having fun. Hope to hear and see more about your trip :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete