Saturday, April 16, 2011

Insomniacs Anonymous

For as long as I can remember, I have always, always had a hard time falling asleep. I am incredibly jealous of people who seem to be able to fall asleep in 2.5 seconds, because it usually takes me several hours. (Of course, once I actually do fall asleep, good luck attempting to get me out of bed. It takes nothing less than a full-on drumline combined at once with a volcanic eruption to wake me. Seriously.) Since I have been put on Lisinopril for my heart, it has only made matters worse. One of the side effects is insomnia. Gee thanks. I really needed that. This insomnia is like nothing I've experienced before. It used to be that I would like awake in bed tired and wishing I could fall asleep. Nowadays, I just get a huge burst of energy at night and am too wired to sleep. I've tried taking it first thing in the morning to wear me out, doesn't seem to work.

It is now 2:41am in Germany. So far tonight I've managed to:
*Find 6 more Golden Bananas in Angry Birds Rio.
*Complete the Jungle levels in Angry Birds Rio.
*Ogle Le Creuset on the Bed, Bath, and Beyond website for a solid 20 minutes. Swoon.
*Wash the dishes that were in the sink.
*Sweep the kitchen floor.
*Mop the kitchen floor.
*Run outside to the car to get a shelf we bought at Ikea this morning.
*Rewash the dishes.
*Attempt to assemble said shelf.
*Try again,
*And again.
*Kick things in frustration.
*Take my blood pressure after Ikeagate.
145/100 with a heart rate of 99.
Yea, those heart meds are r-e-a-l-l-y working.
*Order an Easter gift for my niece.
*Update my wedding to-do list.
*Have a glass of water.
*Write this blog post.

Things I have yet to accomplish:
*Sleep

The best thing that came out of this Lisinopril prescription was its brother- the Ambien prescription. I think one's calling my name now. It would be rude not to answer it.

6 comments:

  1. I have a hard time sleeping too.
    What helps sometimes is a magnesium tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hit puberty and became an insomniac. My nightly "what I've done" list looks a lot like yours. LOL

    I hope that Ambien helped you last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not exactly insomnia, but I spend the entire day bored and unmotivated, and then as soon as a reasonable bed time comes around, I get energy and motivation and start doing things I should've been working on during normal hours of the day. I don't mind staying up late - as long as I can sleep late, but I sure do wish I could just get that motivation during the day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor thing. My favorite part of that list was, "kick things in frustration." Hope your weekend was more restful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no sorry to hear this. It must be very frusterating.

    Glad I came across your blog. I am loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had insomnia for a bit in college. Ambien definitely work but it scared me a little because it made me feel like the ceiling was caving in on me right before I would fall asleep.. it was that "heavy" ya know? anyway, on the bright side, at least you are productive when you can't sleep.. you can wake up to clean house! :-)

    ReplyDelete