Thursday, July 28, 2011

I had a little Kindle

Got woken up by a rather nice phone call from my husband today- he bought me a Kindle! He was thinking of getting me one as a going into the hospital gift but was going to hold off on it, until he saw one on sale for 25% off, at which point he immediately grabbed it!

Since that phone call, I have been busy updating my Amazon wishlist to ebooks (on TLS's iPad- isn't technology grand?) and looking at pretty Kindle cases and accessories online.

I love love love this one from Kate Spade, but I can't really justify a cover that costs almost as much as the Kindle itself.

The price on these ones is right and they're just cutesy enough without being overly so (similar concept to the Kate Spade one) but alas they won't be available to ship for 1-3 months. Love them but I just cannot wait that long for a cover. Patience is not a virtue that I possess.
Does this one remind anyone else of Desperately Seeking Seersucker?
This cover is gorgeous and the built in-light is a huge advantage.
My only reservation about it is that the built-in light draws its power from the Kindle itself and reviews have said that this can drain the battery on it. Does anyone have this one? Is it worth the money? How quickly does the battery on the kindle run out when you are using the light on it?

To those of you who own Kindles, which cover do you have? Are there any other nice ones that I should be looking at? I'm picky with a cover- I don't want anything silicone (ick), I don't want a stand, I don't want a neoprene sleeve, I just want something that opens like a book. Is it better to get a cover with a built-in light or to just buy a regular cover and get a small booklight for it separately?

Also, I am looking for book recommendations to add to my fun new toy. Read any good books lately?

15 comments:

  1. I have the cover with the light in green and I LOVE it. I don't use the light a ton, but I haven't noticed it draining my battery too fast. I just really like that the cover makes me feel like my kindle is safe being tossed around in my purse, and it also makes it feel a little more like I'm reading an actual book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about a lilly one? or a vera bradly one? or try etsy for a custom one

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love my Kindle. I've had mine over a year and I'm consistently impressed by how long the battery lasts. You can make it last longer by turning off the wireless connection when you aren't using it to download books. I'm not sure how the book light would impact the battery, but I would guess it would still have a pretty long life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cover did remind me of DSS before I even saw that you mentioned her! How funny!

    I only have a neoprene sleeve for mine but I would love a cute cover too. That is on my verrrrrry long wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. while i do love the ksny one, the "new yorkers" are so adorable - and so YOU, i think... it will be nice to have a little NYC reminder each time you pick up your kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely get the cover with the booklight. It's SO handy and really doesn't have a huge impact on the battery. It's great to use when you don't have other light around. I highly recommend it! And for books, The Help, The Secret Life of CeCe Wilkes, Water for Elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Nook, and I actually have a Vera Bradley cover for it. I wouldn't go with something where the light runs off of the kindle. You can find plenty of book lights that run on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha that *does* remind me of her!! How funny!

    I love the New Yorker ones but I couldn't wait that long either. I think that's so sweet that he got you a Kindle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the exact pink one with the light and it's perfect for me! I don't need to charge my kindle more than once a week, but I do take my kindle out of the cover at times, especially when I don't need the book light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that exact pink one also. I use the light every night because my husband goes to sleep before me. It has not impacted my battery at all, I only charge every few weeks. Love it! It is great to not have to lug around a book light when you travel, plus you never have to worry about replacing batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going to LOVE LOVE your kindle :) I love mine. I want the great gatsby cover so badly but I have the kindle dx and they don't make it for the big one. Such a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My aunt has the cover with the light and she looooooooooves it. I asked and she didn't notice any significant battery drain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower! Congrats on your Kindle :) I'm wanting the Nook. But I wonder why those covers take so long to ship. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have that pink one; if you turn off the wireless connection if you are mid-read the battery lasts WAY longer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What kindle did you get? Some of the newer ones have a backlit screen that turns on and off depending on how light or dark it is......

    ReplyDelete