Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Rüdesheim

A couple of weeks ago, TLS and I went to Rüdesheim for the day. Rüdesheim is a gorgeous town on the Rhine river that is known for its wine there. It is popular among tourists, but has retained a lot of its charm. In typical Masha fashion, I forgot to bring my camera with me, so I only have pictures from my iphone to post here. (Once again, in typical Masha fashion, at the end of the day, on the drive home, I found my camera in my purse. Go figure.)

To get to the town, you had to take a ferry across the Rhine River. I was fascinated by it because it was my first time ever seeing a car ferry!
one of our first views of the town




Once we got there, we walked up to a cable car that went up the mountains, through the vineyards, and left us higher off in the mountains where we walked to the Niederwald monument. We bought a small bottle of wine and two souvenir glasses for 6,00€ and enjoyed it on the trip up.  (The next few photos will be blurry because I attempted to take them on an iphone in a moving cable car. Smart.)
view from the cable car
can't wait to drink all that!


This is the Niederwald Monument. Sadly, it was being cleaned when we were there so most of it covered by scaffolding.

It was built to commemorate the establishment of the German Empire. Here is a picture I found of what it looks like when it's not all boarded up.
There was an observation platform there that provided beautiful views of the town across the river.
After we took the cable car back down, we went to a little restaurant for drinks and this amazing cake! We walked around a bit to wine taste and found a square where a jazz band had set up and were playing so we bought two glasses of white wine from a kiosk there and sat and listened to them play.
Then we walked around some more going into all of the little shops that they had there. I got a little stuffed hedgehog (not pictured) named Pieks who now resides on our dashboard. One of the wine shops there had a person there who could etch your wine bottles, so obviously, I had to monogram one.
This bottle goes under the "too pretty to drink" category.
It didn't photograph that well because of the light reflecting off the bottle, but it has a picture of grapes on it and underneath it says
Rudesheim
Germany
2011
MST

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip! I would love to visit Germany someday. I believe we still have relatives still there.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your German adventures. What a quaint little town - kind of reminds me of an old fairy tale setting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous day! Such a gift that you and TLS get to live abroad now, and to see all of these places :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like such a fun trip! I love the wine bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wine bottle! What a fun souvenir!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful trip. The pictures look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pictures, even if they are just camera phone ones.

    I noticed your last two initials changed, I hope I'm not being nosy, but I'm curious as to how the second initial was changed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to explore a new town! And that wine bottle is fabulous! It's hard to have adventures like that with a new baby so I enjoy living vicariously through my friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, looks like you had a fun day. We had been there early this year too and i so..so..agree with you...its sure is a magical town to be in. We enjoyed our ferry ride, the quiet walks on the street and all the sights we got to see.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete