Friday, July 10, 2009

what I'm obsessed with mocking today

Back in the day, I used to be a big fan of Vera Bradley. The bags were cute, fun, preppy, well-made, and not totally ubiquitous. Slowly, the patterns started getting uglier, the quality declined, and suddenly, everyone from girl scouts to old ladies was carrying these bags. I have not purchased a Vera bag in quite some time, and have not liked any of their new stuff. I still receive their emails and their catalog, and when I received this in my inbox, it was too good not to share.

Introducing Frill, by Vera Bradley. It is, and I quote: "a new take on Vera Bradley! Sleek and shiny texture, patent details, and pretty bows..." The collection looks much worse than described, and to top it off, all of the bags are named after text message lingo a la the IDK my BFF Jill commercial.

My personal favorite from all of this? Well, it really is hard to find just one item, but I will have to go with the $94, shiny, Daisy print, LYLAS backpack. For anyone who is not up on their teenspeak and needs to Urban Dictionary this, let me tell you that LYLAS stands for Love Ya Like A Sis. Thank you Vera Bradley for enriching my vocabulary.

Does anyone want to take bets on how long it will be before Vera Bradley is sold exclusively at Claire's Accessories?

16 comments:

  1. That is just....awful. I disliked VB in the first place and now I just really loathe them. Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped purchasing Vera last year after they charged my credit card three times for one item and then took over a month to give me my money back, they are not the company they used to be. I have moved on to Longchamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even worse (perhaps) it dosen't even have LYLAS on it! Good grief. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. not so much into backpacks and when I had one it was Jansport!! haha xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same...used to LOVE vera too and now never use any except a makeup bag that I take with me on trips. Wow that is just completely EW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I got a make up bag for graduation from high school. The backpack is hideous. What were they thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. VB is going to be completely bankrupt trying to sell products like that! I haven't bought anything since they retired the Elisabeth pattern which was the one I got in high school. This is just an eyesore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got that email too.... What the hell are they thinking?!?! Ew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that bag is terrible. And really? Texting lingo? Oye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. they've sold out! i loved my original "Ming" pattern from the early 90's. great stuff. now=garbage

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the elephant pattern and the stationary/homegoods. Otherwise not really for me. I don't like this new material!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahah, I give it a year. You are totally right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wtf is this stuff?!? Are you kidding me...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the idea here is maybe it's not designed for "us" it looks like with the name and styles this is for a certain younger crowd...marketing to them is probably a smart move.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was cracking up walking back from my mailbox yesterday when they sent me this high gloss shiny mailing [I'm assuming to match their high gloss bags] Gross

    Cheers,
    Bunny!

    ReplyDelete