Monday, January 2, 2012

Things Never to Say to Me

Living overseas, my tiny kitchen is the very bane of my existence. And I don't mean it's too small to eat in. I mean that both my husband and I physically can't stand in there at the same time. It really annoys me when American friends mention how small their kitchens are. When I bring up mine, they say "oh it can't really be that small." You wanna bet? I now present to you, the Kitchen at Chez MMS.

This is my whole kitchen if I stand directly in the doorway:
And this is all of the usable counter space in said kitchen:
For the record- when I lived in a studio, my counter space was a lot bigger
It gets to be really interesting on the days when I make four course meals in there. Usually the step stool in the top picture, coffee table, dining room table, and on occassion, couch are all covered in trivets and mixing/prep bowls.

So there you have it folks, my entire kitchen. So please, for the love of all things that are holy, unless your kitchen is actually located inside your linen closet, do not complain to me about how small it is.

8 comments:

  1. I need to take a picture of mine. I'm by no means a cook, so I don't mind, but it'd make you happy yours is a long as yours is. Yeah, your kitchen is maybe two or three of mine. Which is probably against the purpose of your post, my saying this. But omigosh is mine teeny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG.... I don't know how you manage to make that work, it is really small. I would be frustrated, but like you I'd make it work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's impressive that you can cook more than boiling pasta! Just think - your next place's kitchen will be palatial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oy vey. mine IS pretty small - just as narrow as yours - but i do have lots of counter space. youre a master chef to be able to whip up four course meals in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You baked those adorable Dradle cookies in there?? Bless your heart. I'm impressed. You could definitely win the itty-bitty kitchen award!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOw, I am so impressed you make four course meals in there! Gives me motivation to get cooking in mine... I'm such a slacker cook but it's on my list of resolutions to start learning a few great go-to recipes. Great to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow - so so teeney! when i lived in athens our kitchen was a shoebox. You couldn't open the oven and the refrigerator at the same time. but yours is much much smaller!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol, couldn't stand that... This is why we live on base - that and the built in storage are lifesavers!!!

    ReplyDelete