Friday, April 2, 2010

The Proposal

Thank you to everyone for your outpouring of sweet thoughts and well wishes. I am truly touched. I have finally calmed down to the point where I can post our proposal story without crying.

I knew we were getting engaged on this trip, but I didn't know when. My second to last day in England was a Saturday and we went to London for the night. TLS has platinum status at Sheraton and called ahead to let them know that he'd be proposing so we got an insane upgrade to a three-room suite. Our room was bigger than my apartment! He got us tickets to Phantom of the Opera on the West End and we went to dinner at an Italian place before the show. Yours truly brilliantly left the tickets at the hotel so we had to skip dessert, take a cab to the hotel, have the driver wait, and go back to the theater two blocks from the restaurant where we originally were. Since I am pretty much obsessed with Phantom of the Opera, TLS's plan was to propose during intermission. I accidentally put the kibosh on that by asking him why he looked so nervous during the show. He knew how it ends. Whoops. After the show, we walked along the park back to our hotel. At the hotel, we decided to go to their bar/lounge area where they do afternoon teas there during the day. They had these gorgeous Japanese-inspired murals on the walls and I love Japanese art, so he asked an elderly couple to take a few pictures of us. After the man took the last one, TLS said "just one more," took the ring out of his jacket pocket, got down on one knee, and said "Masha will you marry me?" I covered my face with my hands and started half laughing half crying hysterically. Then there was about three straight minutes of me going "Oh my G-d, oh my G-d." When I had calmed down enough, he put the ring on my finger. Right finger, wrong hand. I switched the ring to the correct hand, put my arms around him, and started kissing him. As we walked back to our table he went "you did say yes, right?"

29 comments:

  1. awwwwwwww! how romantical!! I am looking forward to seeing how your wedding plans come together! Much Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, that seriously brought happy tears to my eyes because that was just so sweet and thoughtful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so so sweet! I would have been happy with just that wonderful date, but the fact that he proposed too is just perfect!

    I started reading your blog in the past few months...does TLS stand for some nickname or is it just initials for your finance's name for anonymity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwww so sweet!!! I love it! What a perfect story.

    Mr. Smith still jokes that I never actually said yes. :) Too much emotions! It's hard to say the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how someone was there to capture it all for you! What a wonderful story. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super Sweet and wonderfully romantic! What a wonderful husband you will have!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story!! I adore the fact that the ring initially went on the wrong hand :) I can't even imagine how nerve wracking it must be for a guy to propose...even when you are pretty sure she is going to say yes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sweet!!! Enjoy your engagment time it will all seem to fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this made me all smily and weepy at the same time, what a wonderful tale! Thanks for sharing with all of us. :)

    Sending smiles your way,
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  10. How romantic and what a wonderful memory for you to have always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How romantic! I hope the person with the camera took lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg!!! youre engaged!!! I am sooo extremely happy for you lady!!! That is the cutest thing.... i love it!! congrats to you and TLS!!! xxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word! That is so cute! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw! How romantic! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! I just got engaged in Ireland- like you I knew it would happen on the trip but I didn't know when! :)
    FS

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH MY GOSH, gives me goosebumps, such a great proposal story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so cute! Love it!! :) So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really, really sweet. Congratulations!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats! Great engagement story!

    ReplyDelete