Wednesday, September 19, 2012

a new year, a new start

Even if you are not Jewish, this is the season for new beginnings: first days of school, the return of tv shows (my credit cards are already silently crying in anticipation of what our iTunes will be like), and, for some of us, it is the start of the new year.

In Services on Sunday night, our rabbi had us close our eyes and picture the moment when we were at our worst in the past year, and then to picture us at our best. This is a way of summarizing how we lived our year. The crazy thing is- while I know I did good in the past year, while specific low points stick out in my mind, not one single good point sticks out. I guess I know what I have to improve on for next year.

We have been busy preparing for Rosh Hashanah and for our upcoming trip to Berlin. (8 days to go). It will be the first time my parents will see me in just over a year, and I know my mother is going crazy! The last time that she saw me, I was still post-op and dealing with nerve damage in my thigh and using a cane to get around. At this point a year later, I am back to normal and am even down a few pounds! I am so happy for her to see me the way she remembers me and not overmedicated, in pain, and in a hospital bed.

We held a Rosh Hashanah dinner at our house on Monday night for two of our closest friends here. This may be the last time we get to see them as they are moving back to the States in 2 weeks. I've had friends come and go in the past 2 years since we've been here, but them leaving is hitting me harder than most. I have been kind of baby'ish about the whole thing and have resorted to posting comments like "YOU'RE NOT LEAVING ME!!!!" on any of their move-related statuses. Mature, I know.

Speaking of fresh starts, yesterday was TLS's birthday and I just want to take another moment to wish my wonderful husband (not to mention my reason for buying Nutella cupcakes!) a very happy birthday and yet another chance for a fresh start.

Before I go on rambling for Lord knows how long (I guess this is what happens when you don't have time to post for a while), I'm going to end this here and wish all of you a wonderful, sweet new year and a fresh start. Shana Tova Umetuka!

6 comments: