Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's My Pity Party and I'll Cry if I Want to?

I will preface this by saying that as I'm typing this, I am still feeling numb and disconnected, so I apologize in advance if this post does not make much sense.

I have written on here before that I had open heart surgery when I was four. My aorta was stuck flat and I needed to have surgery to correct it. (The aorta is the first artery that pumps clean blood from your heart to the rest of your body.) Since then, I have always needed to see a cardiologist for routine checkups every 6 months to a year. In between flat out forgetting to make an appointment, and then getting laid off and losing my health insurance, it's probably been somewhere between a year and a half or two years since the last time I had actually seen my cardiologist. Not good.

Since about a month or so after I got to Germany, we've noticed that every time I get my blood pressure taken, it has always been elevated. After going to the clinic, getting a bunch of tests ordered, getting put on a Beta Blocker, and wearing a heart rate monitor for 24 hours, I was back in a cardiologist's office today. (At this point, I should probably mention that I was on said Beta Blocker for a whopping 48 hours because it ended up doing more harm than good.) My EKG looked good, heart rate was fine. My ultrasound? Not so much.

It looks like after a successful 23 year post-op run, my aorta is starting to close again. The PA who met with us went to get a consult from a doctor and when they both came in the room and told me, I just went NUMB. I can barely tell you what happened for the rest of that appointment, because from then on, it became clear that only TLS was physically capable of talking. The doctor started talking about how I will need to open my aorta either through some sort of balloon catheter thing or through surgery and I just sat there like a statue and all I could think was "now is not the time to cry, don't cry, don't cry." (The balloon will be a lot less invasive and an outpatient procedure versus full on surgery, but that freaked me out enough just the same to the point that I pretty much became mute.) Like I said, from that point on, TLS had to do most of the coherent talking. It definitely got a whole lot better when I found out that our hospital doesn't do the procedure so I would either need to find a German hospital that would do it and be covered by Tricare or go back to the States for this.

We got out of there and I just turned to him and went "I need a margarita." Little did I know that today is actually National Margarita Day. How fitting.

I got home, got in bed with my Teddy and have pretty much stayed here like that all day. Half a pack of Twizzlers and a copious amount of Thin Mints later, I still have not been able to bring myself to cry. All I feel is nothing. Just empty and numb.And very scared.

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer of the day, but I needed to get this all off my chest. Pun not intended.

27 comments:

  1. Thinking of you! Definitely have a margarita or three! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. I don't know much about this but you do have the right to feel this way. I don't know if you are a Christian but I would strongly suggest praying about it and I will do the same for you. I hope everything turns out ok. Please keep us updated

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry to hear that. im thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh lady, i will be thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you during this time.. things like this are always hard, but will work themselves out! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about this. Enjoy your margaritas or thin mints or whatever puts your mind at ease, and I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you love. Drink some more margaritas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry friend. I will be thinking of you! You are strong and will get through this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear of your problem. I will keep you in my prayers. Please don't worry about being a Debbie downer, you need to write about it to organize it in your mind. You will come to the right decision that is good for you. We are your friends and we are here to help you with whatever we can, even if it is just reading and listening to you. Put it in God's hands and he will help you decide.
    Remember, we are here if you need to vent.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard both good things and terrible things about the German doctors/hospitals. Some people love them more than American hospitals, others have terrible experiences. I wish I knew more. I, personally, would go back to the states - they do have different standards in their hospitals. When I first got preggo and they told me there was a chance I could end up in German hospital for my prenatal & delivery care, I really freaked out. I even had a German national tell me to be careful in the German hospitals if we had to deliver there b/c of the different sanitary precautions. If it's something that can wait until you go home next, I would try to - but obviously being a heart thing, this probably isn't an issue that can just sit and wait while you make a decision. Either way, I'd be very much like you. Just take some deep breaths, enjoy your drinks and snacks, and good luck! YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope every thing gets straightened out quickly for you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you love. I am sure it will all work out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry. I'm thinking & praying for your safe procedure and recovery. Raising a full margarita glass to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sweetheart! I am so sorry. Is your family in NY? Have you been able to get in touch with them yet? Try to think positive! Love you! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my gosh... im sooo sorry!! I hope everything gets better!! You def deserve more than a margarita!! xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  16. stinker day :( I'm sorry
    Angioplasty would definitely be preferable over a full surgery so I hope that will be successful for you. Sending you some love xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Miss Preppy Girl, I am so sorry the news wasn't better. You ar ein my thoughts and prayers, and I am sending you many hugs across the miles.
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh hun I am so so sorry that you are going through this. I am here for you - please email me or call me if you do feel like talking! I LOVE YOU!! Sending you big hugs! From Trey too!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know I sent you a tweet..."Bless your heart," but of course, now I mean that for real! You are on my prayer list sweet girl and I'm enjoying way too many thin mints in YOUR honor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry to hear this news. Take care of yourself. You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thinking of you. Best wishes for a successful decision to try the balloon or surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can only imagine what you are going through. Sending you hugs and good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hate to hear this. I will praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been wondering what was going on (following you twitter) and am so damn behind on reading blogs, I'm just now seeing this.

    Sounds like you aren't sleeping (via twitter), and that can't be helping :( Grrr... I'm going to go catch up a bit more before I ask a bunch of questions!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll be praying for you - having someone tell you something isn't ok with your heart is one of the worst things I've ever heard. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete