Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Two Things

1) When living in a foreign country it is just as important to pay attention to their holidays as it is to pay attention to American ones. Case in point: I still need a pair of brown slacks for my conference next week, and since yesterday was my only free day before leaving for the conference and I was meeting some friends for dinner in Saarbrucken, I decided to take the train down there early so I could go shopping there. Fun fact: May 1st is German Labor Day. All of the stores in Germany are closed on national holidays. That was a fun surprise. Thankfully, Starbucks was open so I set there for two hours just drinking my tea and enjoying the free wifi. Since the closest Starbucks to us is about 30-45 minutes away, now going to a Starbucks is a special treat for us instead of a regular occurrence the way it was in NYC for me. It felt so nice and luxurious to be able to just actually sit in a Starbucks and enjoy it. Also, I made an important discovery that day- the German Starbucks have their own rewards card- you get a stamp for every drink, and your 10th drink is free. (A lot more generous than the American gold card rewards, but then again, drinks over here cost A LOT more than they do in America.) I excitedly emailed this factoid to my husband, who replied stating that spending 21,50€ on a train ticket from our house to Saarbrucken, plus an extra 25€ on drinks does not really constitute a savings to get the free one. I don't get his logic, do you?


2) I absolutely loved last night's Glee. Longtime readers know that I am absolutely obsessed with Phantom of the Opera (my husband proposed to me right after a Phantom performance on the West End) so I had to control my shrieks when I heard Kurt singing Music of the Night. While I love Glee, I hate how most of their song selections lately have been from pop culture. It was so great to see them doing Broadway songs again- especially some of my favorites. I really hope they continue to do more of those in the future.

8 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so with you on Glee. I've secretly dreamt of an entire Phantom or entire Les Mis episode. Would make my day. Cats would be pretty phenomenal too…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Europe is so much worse for everything being closed on holidays...even sundays! I remember that from my travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starbs in the US bumped their gold card rewards down to a free drink for every 15 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that they did a song from Chicago, cuz ya know, Chicago girl. I used to be a theater kid, but in hindsight, I really wasn't and just wanted to be.

    Starbucks usually makes any trip worth it now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. alksjdfa ahh i love this :) i loved they did so many great songs from phantom and chicago. phantom was a musical that my fiance and i saw for his 22nd birthday 5 years ago and we still sing along to it as often as possible :) How sweet that your hubs proposed after the show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. are u kidding me? i dont watch glee anymore but i LOVE PHANTOM SO MUCH!!!! i need to download it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you could relax at Starbucks for a bit. Sounds like a nice escape!

    I don't want Glee anymore but I might have to watch that episode!

    ReplyDelete