Wednesday, October 24, 2012

just drained

Apologies in advance for the rambling nature of this post. I am honestly feeling emotionally drained right now and just need to get this out.  

You ever have those weeks when you feel like nothing can go your way? Since Sunday, I have been feeling that way this week. It started on Sunday when I accidentally missed my shift at work. Not good. Then Monday, TLS had an appointment at the hospital. You may remember back in April when TLS had his Pulmonary Embolism. This was a follow-up appointment to that. It turns out that he has something called Antiphospholipid Syndrome. It means that his blood is a lot more likely to clot. There was a chance that TLS would have to be on Coumadin for life now. This morning, his doctor woke us up with a phone call at 8am, saying that he talked to the Hematologist and the Hematologist wants to see him in three months after he repeats his blood tests and that would determine what would happen with the Coumadin.

T's leg started hurting last night and into this morning. He looked it up online (of course WebMD told him that he had cancer and was going to die on the spot), and it seemed like the symptoms for a blood clot in his leg. I had a phyisical therapy appointment at the hospital today today anyway, so we called our token Jewish doctor friend, who said that better safe than sorry, we should bring T in to the ER. Since he works in the ER, he made some calls letting them know that we would be coming, so by the time we got there, everyone there was expecting us.

The good news: he didn't have a blood clot in his leg. The bad news: after more blood tests were run, it was determined that he pretty much has a blood clot somewhere. He is now back on Lovenox injections until he can get into the Coumadin clinic.

Unfortunately, after his first clot, T was already facing a medical review board to determine if he could stay in the Air Force. This second clot puts that at risk. If he has to be on Coumadin for life, then he can't deploy. If he can't deploy, then he can't serve. Needless to say, we have both been very upset and stressed out this past week and today was a hard day for both of us. Thankfully, we are a couple of months away from a review board. We're trying to keep our spirits high, but things aren't exactly shiny happy over here now.

This morning I reached a breaking point. In two days, I broke two of my favorite headbands. When I saw that headband #2 broke today, it was seriously the straw that broke the camel's back for me and I just started sobbing. I have been a hot mess lately and really wish that there was a 24 hour cupcake and vodka delivery service available.

Also, if anyone has recommendations of where I can get a nice brown plastic or tortoiseshell headband that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, please let me know. I am in love with this one from J. Crew, but refuse to pay $9 shipping on one headband.
Small potatoes, I know, but sometimes it's easier to focus on the small problems than the big ones.

9 comments:

  1. I don't what to say except I'm so sorry you and TLS are going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to say it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one having a pretty crap week. Things have been ROUGH around these parts.

    However... once we hit the bottom, things are going to go up from here, RIGHT?!

    Hope things start going your way soon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive thoughts for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad he's ok, but that's definitely stressful, I totally understand... I'd be freaking out just the same. Hey, at least you don't have to worry about him deploying... Right? Right? Cuz that's never any fun... (This one already has orders for his next one.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what to say that's any good. Sometimes just existing is so difficult. Good health is so simple an idea but sometimes so so randomly given. Best to the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just now getting caught up on blog reading and sending you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear this. Hope TLS gets good news and you're both doing better. :)

    ReplyDelete