Friday, December 11, 2009

hello world

I have come out of my coccoon to say hello to blogland and let you all know that I am still here. I am in the process of catching up on everyone's blogs and unfortunately I don't have time to comment on every single one, so if I don't comment on yours, please don't take it to mean that I didn't read it.

I have survived my first week of unemployment and it hasn't been easy. I have been working ever since I was 15 so to suddenly find myself without a job at age 26 was a bit of a slap in the face. I want to thank all of my readers for your thoughtful emails, notes, and cupcakes. They have helped me stay positive all this week.

In an attempt to put a positive spin on things, I have been determined to use my unemployment as a chance to lose weight and get healthier. When I was working, I would come home from work at 7pm on a good day, and some days not until much later than that. This meant that I didn't have a chance to grocery shop and I was usually too tired to cook when I got home and would just order sushi or Chinese food so all that I would ever really keep were non-perishables. I went to Trader Joe's with my best friend GNB and stocked up on fruits and vegetables and have been eating healthy all week. I also started walking a lot more just because. Yesterday, I walked four miles! It may be psychosymptomatic, but I swear that I feel better!

Another positive thing that has come out of my unemployment is that now I have the opportunity to travel more. I wanted to visit TLS in Turkey for New Year's Eve, but since I could only take a few days off work, the price of a ticket was sky high, and I could not afford it. Now that I am able to stay for a full week, it decreased the cost of a ticket greatly, and as my Hannukah gift from my mom and TLS, I got a plane ticke to Turkey! I will be there from December 28- January 6 and I am so excited! I love travelling and it is my goal to have to get a new passport prematurely because all of the squares for customs stamps in it have been used up. This brings me two stamps closer to my goal. Baby steps...

I have had a lot of time to think this week and since I am a chronic listmaker, I have compiled a list of how losing your job is a lot like being dumped. In no particular order:
1) After both, you spend a lot of time eating chocolate and watching bad tv.
2) Both may use the phrase "it's not you, it's me" when letting you go.
3) After a while, you tell yourself that you weren't really happy anyway and this is for the best.
4) Your friends try to convince you that this is your opportunity to find a better looking one with better benefits.
5) You spend time cyber-stalking to see if they have replaced you.


Until next time, I love you all. Have a terrific weekend and Happy Hannukah to all of my Jewish readers. Thank you for allowing me to share a small part of my life with you, I am truly grateful to have each and every one of you in my life.

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've taken so many positive things from you unemployment. best wishes, and happy hannukah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there missy! Turkey will be amazing! I love your positive outlook on this situation! Happy Hanukkah, tonight of course!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Hannukah, even though I think you got your big present already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Hannukah dolly... I know that things will turn around for you.. I applaud you on the gym and healthy effort... xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back :) Glad to hear you're doing well and feeling positive!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're getting to go to Turkey for the new year!!! Have a blast & cannot wait to hear all about it. Hope you'll check out the giveaway on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh Turkey!! that will be so fun:) very cool

    ReplyDelete
  8. will you have a turkey sandwich in Turkey? Do you suppose the locals think that is an especially bad joke? xoxo BFF JILL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you've taken a positive spin to everything. It's much harder to be positive than it is negative - I'm proud! How exciting about Turkey - Have fun!

    Happy Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just unemployed for 3 months...it was very, very difficult for me because like you, I have always had at least one job since I was 14 or 15. I'm glad you are able to look at the positives--if you find yourself faltering, check out the blog post I wrote about the lessons I learned from being unemployed... http://erinism.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/lessons-learned-from-the-unemployed/

    ReplyDelete
  11. It *is* a lot like being dumped, you definitely nailed that one. Hopefully knowing how many of us are pulling for you will help just a bit.

    Hugs to you,
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was without a job for 6 months, and looking back it was really the best thing that ever could have happened to me.

    I remembered how to be frugal :) I, like you, ate healthier and exercised more out of necessity!

    AND...I had more time to spend with those I loved, and hadn't been able to see as much as I wanted to.

    I know you want to find another job quickly, but until then....chin up! As long as you keep yourself busy you really will find yourself smiling...a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The good stuff always rises to the top. I'm new here from Preppy Princess. If she thinks you're tops, I'm sure you are. Turkey sounds amazing. I actually have a blog subscriber from Turkey - she writes Turquoise Diaries? The photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't imagine you haven't already earned the Happy 101 award, but I can't find it anywhere? So, congrats! I left you a prize on my blog.

    AND..here's what I'm thinking. Perhaps making a list of the things that make you happy will lift your spirits...even if it's just for a sec? Because you lift my spirits every day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha - I love your list of how losing a job is like a break up! Too funny! I'm sorry about everything that has happened, but it will turn around soon!! xoxo, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad that your back...we've missed ya! I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this right now but happy to hear that your doing better! Happy (belated) Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete