Monday, November 2, 2009

Hannukah Card Fail

As many of my readers know, there are few things that I love more than sending and receiving nice hand-written cards and letters. I spend quite possibly more time and money at Papyrus and Kate's Paperie than I should and am always finding great cards to send to friends. The only area where this does not seem to apply is Hannukah cards. I have seen some gorgeous, funny, unique, nicely decorated, etc. cards for Christmas/the generic holiday season, yet I have yet to find a nice box of Hannukah cards. While there may not be anything wrong with them, they all just seem to be very generic and lacking that certain je ne sais quoi. For instance, I saw some lovely Christmas cards in Papyrus that had miniature cotton balls on them to look like giant snowflakes, yet no matter where I look, the Hannukah cards all look exactly the same- blue with a menorah on the front. These are the cards that I will be sending out this year:

Sadly, they do look much nicer and festive than they do in person.

Lots of times, I just stick with buying the generic holiday/winter cards, but there are certain people for whom I would like to send a Hannukah specific card. While I realize that Jews are in the world's minority, would it be so much to ask for a little creativity? Le sigh. Do I need to go into the Hannukah card making business?

8 comments:

  1. You'd think here in a big city there would be a greater variety :( I usually have to buy a few single cards at Hallmark because the packs of 6 are not as nice as I'd like.
    You'd make a pretty penny selling stylish Hannukah cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Found your blog through Erin's (another NYC blogger) - have you ever tried Etsy for Hannukah cards? There are alot of stationery designers on there and they could even make custom ones (the letterpress designs are amazing!).

    I love Kate's Paperie (and they gave us a gift card when my husband and I got our wedding invites from there!) but you are right that sometimes their selection is lacking. I don't even think their new SoHo store isn't as good as the old one that was on Broadway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I make my own Hanukah cards and sometimes I find them at craft fairs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not Jewish, but I make sure to send one of my friends stuff for Hannukah. I usually make a card for her. But I go all out. I buy the dreidel stamps and get a hannukah gift as well. But I agree with you about the cards. They are all kind of blah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is by far the most annoying thing to me! I spend every year trying to find nice Hannukah cards for my family and sometimes I can't find any! It is beyond aggravating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a Marshall's near you or a TJ Maxx? Last year they had some funny and cute Hannukah cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie Marcus has a cute line of Hannukah cards .

    ReplyDelete
  8. How frustrating! Those cards are kind of a cool, stylized menorah, at least :) Hannukah-card-making-business = definitely!!!

    ReplyDelete