Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wedding Wednesday

This week, music has been the wedding topic on my mind. I read somewhere that when you think of a good song for your wedding, you're supposed to write it down so that when the time comes for the dj or band to ask you for things you'd like played at your wedding, you can give a list as opposed to just saying "stuff."

I have been doing just that. Unfortunately, my song list seems to be a bit sparse. Here's what I have so far.
You Belong With Me- Taylor Swift
I Want to Hold Your Hand- The Beatles
Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better- From the Annie Get Your Gun Soundtrack. TLS and I are always singing this one to each other so we figured it would be cute to play it during dinner.
Fins- Jimmy Buffett
New York, New York- Frank Sinatra
Come on Eileen- Dexy's Midnight Runners
Why Don't we Get Drunk and Screw?-Jimmy Buffett
Bless the Broken Road- Rascal Flatts
Johnny and June- Heidi Newfield
Dynamite- Taio Cruz
Another One Bites the Dust- Queen
Sweet Caroline- Neil Diamond
Just the Way You Are- Billy Joel
Peanuts Theme Song (music only)- Bill Melendez (another one that we love that would be cute for dinner)
Marry You- Bruno Mars
New York State of Mind- Billy Joel
She's in Love with the Boy- Trisha Yearwood

This doesn't include our first dance and father/daughter and mother/son dances. It's a start but is not enough obviously. Anyone have good recommendations for songs for the reception? (Big fat no to Single Ladies.)

10 comments:

  1. haha AGREED on single ladies. If I was single, and that song came on and I had to go try and catch the bouquet I'd run in the opposite direction and drown my sorrows in a cocktail. Lordy.

    We are doing what R and I like to call a lot of frat/sorority mixer closing songs-- lots of 80s hits like Journey, bon jovi, etc. mixed with some more current (but PG-13) hits for dancing during the reception. This is hard for us because we both like rap and Lil Wayne is our idea of party music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. walking on sunshine by Katrina & the Waves,
    everyday is a winding road by Sheryl Crow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used
    "Ain't No Other Man" for the bouquet toss -- I don't like pointing out that girls are single =/
    I honestly don't remember many songs that played during our reception lol! I gave the DJ free reign on music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh, I have yet to do this and our band requests that we provide them with a list! Nice list you have started! I actually just put a page on our wedding website for people to "request" songs they would like to hear at the wedding, let the guests do some of the work! xoxo KAG

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about what songs we want in the car the other day and got teary eyed! I'm such a sap. We have some odd ones we want such as Tennessee Waltz (both raised in TN, it's a classic), Fishin' in the dark, I want you to want me, the Darius Rucker song about "this could be my last first kiss" but I'm having a brain fart on the name, and bunches more. We're having a band btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list to start :-)
    I went to a wedding this year that had a song from charlie & the chocolate factory willy wonka.. the dream one.. as first dance. definitely interesting. i loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and one more. Dave Barnes On a Night Like This

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I Wanna Grow Old with you" by Adam Sandler... I thought this would be awesome, buuut I think we forgot about it. Otherwise, there is the similarly themed "When I'm Sixty Four" by The Beatles. Basically ANYTHING by the Beatles (we had "I Get By with a Little Help from My Friends" as our wedding party song and dragged all our friends and wedding party on the dance floor and sung it at the top of our lungs) and some of our friends sung us "All You Need is Love" - and they were really good at it, too! or any love song by Taylor Swift, oh, we had so much fun with music... I had a list somewhere of all the songs we chose to have played. ...Somebody is KR's family requested "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" which got doctored to my hubby's last name... We also like Elvis's "Can't Help Falling in Love with You" and some good ol' Black Eyed Peas & Lady Gaga for dance music. Seriously. I have more, so if you're interested, let me know and I'll find the list I made, I know there were other good ones, too... Music is my life, so this was one aspect of planning that I found to be EXTRA fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi... You need to go check out my blog Ms Lady! PS. Love the song list! I like that Forever and For Always by Shania Twain and from this moment is my fave. I walked down the aisle to that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you're going to play Taylor Swift at your wedding! I have mad dance parties to her stuff. It's especially good to listen to when listening to dishes. :)

    I second the 80s songs - Bon Jovi's "Living On A Prayer" is always a good time!

    ReplyDelete