Monday, March 12, 2012

Silver

When I got married, I acquired my Nana's silver serving pieces. Being that my Nana has Alzheimer's and Dementia and doesn't entertain (or remember that she had silver to begin with), let's just say no one in my family knows when the last time that they were polished is. They are beautiful pieces but definitely need some work. I'm hosting a Seder at our house next month and would really like to use them. Can any of you recommend how to clean and polish them and get them looking all nice again? What products do I need to get? Thanks in advance.

10 comments:

  1. I just use Tarnex and a rag on our silver. You need to post pictures of yours, I'd love to see it (big vintage fan)!
    BTW - I adore your new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look up the polish I use! You will laugh but when I am stressed I polish silver. I think I am definitely a southern lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Tarnex too. It works great on my great grandma's set. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hagerty's and Gorham polish are both good. Google "silver" on Eddie Ross's website and you will get a treasure trove of good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm totally using the suggestions giving to you because I have some silver that needs polishing in a bad way. Of course it's my daughter's. Why does she have all the nice stuff??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Bon Ami Polishing Cleanser http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_results.asp?Ns=performanceRank|0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&Go.y=0&Go.x=0&N=0&Ntt=Bon+ami&srchtree=1&aid=336064&aparam=bon%20ami%20powder&scinit1=bon%20ami%20powder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tarnex and a soft cloth. It takes ages - but if you do it as directed it really preserves the silver. There is a liquid tarnex that you can literally just dip stuff in, but I was once scolded by my great-grandmother that elbow grease better preserves etchings in the silver. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's a list of other great ideas.http://www.doityourself.com/stry/silver#b

    ReplyDelete
  9. I collect vintage silver and silver plate, and it's important to ensure you use high quality polish, especially on vintage pieces so you don't rub off any of the ornamentation or silver plating. I swear by Maas which is sold at Crate & Barrel. Good luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete