Saturday, June 30, 2012

Two Years

Two years ago, my life changed in a big way. Two years ago, I followed my heart and got on the second one-way flight of my life. Two years ago, I left my beloved NYC for a new adventure in suburban Germany.

When I first got here, it was a huge culture shock for me with both the German and military ways of life, and I went through bouts of unhappiness. Most days, I never left my house and I just felt so scared and alone.

I've changed and grown a lot since then. I have no problems riding public transportation, I walk to our town's downtown shopping area for iced tea at least 4 times a week. While I may not speak German, I do know enough words to order a drink or know my way around a menu in a restaurant. I now have several German clothing stores that are in my regular rotation, and am familiar with my sizes in them. I am more comfortable going grocery shopping off base.

We still have just under two years left in Germany, and there are a few things I'd like to accomplish before we leave. Here is my Bucket List:
*order something from a German store and have it delivered to my house- I have yet to online shop here, and I do really "need" to. I have a small collection of these canisters and want to have a complete set before we leave.



Some of these pieces are only available online, so problem solved.
*get a Dirndl- Cheesy. I know. I don't care. I think they're fun. I know if I leave here and don't get one, I will regret it. And it would make for one awesome Halloween costume for years to come.
*get a cuckoo clock- We have a saying here that everyone leaves Germany with either a cuckoo clock or a baby. Enough said.
*Visit Berlin- I can check this one off my list at the end of September. :)
*climb to the top of the Köln Dom (Cologne Cathedral)- it is one of the tallest churches in the world and climbing to the top of that is quite a feat!



Those of you who remember my challenge with the Strasbourg Cathedral are probably laughing at this goal now. Hard.
*go to an 1.FCK game- our town's local football (soccer) team



*go to the Hofbräuhaus in Munich-



*go to the Nurmberg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber Christmas markets-



Actually, I also want to visit those places not during Christmas. I work for a German Christmas store company (believe me, the irony of this is not lost on me) that's based out of Rothenburg, and they actually have several shops there, including a year-round Christmas Village.
*go to Liechtenstein- ok so it isn't actually in Germany, but it is pretty close to it, and I would love to go visit, and it's the kind of place that once we leave Europe, I don't think we'd take a vacation to.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you've settled in a bit more. I think that is a fine bucket list of things to do before you leave Germany..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing you work for Kathe Wolhfarht! My mom worked there when we were stationed in Wurzburg. Our house's decorations every Christmas reminds me of Germany since most of the decor came from Kathe Wolhfart and my mom still orders from their online store. I miss Germany so much!I think your list is pretty inclusive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going through what you described going through when you first moved to Germany! We moved here in December & I am still rarely leaving the house unless I am with my husband! Not knowing anyone & being in such an unfamiliar place the sadness gets the better of me most days! We went to Rothenburg a few weeks ao for a day trip & it was a magical place! Loved it & cant wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going through what you described going through when you first moved to Germany! We moved here in December & I am still rarely leaving the house unless I am with my husband! Not knowing anyone & being in such an unfamiliar place the sadness gets the better of me most days! We went to Rothenburg a few weeks ao for a day trip & it was a magical place! Loved it & cant wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those canisters are everywhere in London - come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. in high school, I worked at an ice cream shop that was owned by a family whose patriarch had come from germany in 1904...I wore a dirndyl when scooping ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adventure! I am glad you are a bit more settled now. I love hearing about your life overseas!

    ReplyDelete