Monday, March 21, 2011

date night attire

We've all had our share of bad, cringe-worthy dates. One of the things that I love and hate at the same time is when you are out someplace and you can immediately spot the couple that is on a bad date and you know that there will not be a second date. You can't help but be amused by the guys and feel sorry for the girls in these situations. Tonight, TLS and I went out for dinner at our favorite restaurant in New  York. While this is not an extremely fancy place by any means, but it is a 3 $$$ restaurant on Opentable and is very nice. A perfect date spot.

While we were in there, I noticed a couple on a date. The girl looked very pretty and nicely dressed, and the nicest thing that I could say about him would be to call him a hot mess. Or use much more colorful language if you will. At first I noticed the backwards PBR baseball cap in a restaurant and pointed it out to TLS wondering who would actually wear that to a restaurant. He then replied that the guy was just wearing a white undershirt and that's it. I figured he would probably be wearing jeans or khakis. Wrong again. Track pants. With racing stripes down the sides. And sneakers. The entired time, he sat at the table looking like he was auditioning to play the role of Quasimodo in a play, and also kept his elbows on the table the entire time. Really? really? really???? The girl gets dressed up for a date and he shows up looking like he just got done with a beer pong tournament in the Kappa Sig basement? I told TLS that I was hoping this was not a first date and she knew him well because if a guy had shown up looking like that for a date with me, I would have gotten a mysterious phone call saying that my Nana had fallen and fractured her hip. He said that he hoped it was a first date and the girl would not be seeing him again. Either way, a PSA to any guys who are reading this- if you are going on a date, put some effort into it. Be on your best behavior.

13 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder why they don't want to put their best foot forward. I think they just don't want to grow up and act like an adult.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope she was being kind and taking her wayward little brother out to dinner on his spring break! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - that is terrible! I have seen a couple first dates before as well and you just know if it is going to work or not haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is terrible and amusing at the same time. I really feel bad for her... =/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow. How sad for that girl!?

    When we're going out on a date, Mr. Smith will check with me on what to wear to make sure he's not under or over dressed compared to what I want to wear. It's super cute but I never realized how lucky I was till this story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. poor girl!! have you seen the movie date night with tina fey and steve carell? they like to look at other couples and come up with their stories, so funny! i'm new to the world of blogging, please stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...really? When I was on MDC I definitely had some weird dressers, but THAT takes the cake. EGADS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW people are crazy!!! Poor girl, she probably wanted to run out of there!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story reminds me of what Cher says in Clueless about high school boys. I'm so glad I have never been on a first date like that one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing people on first dates in restaurants. Recently I saw what was clearly a blind date. I don't think it was going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWKWARD! I dunno what I would do in that situation, but definitely cringe worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. btw I'm doing a fun post centered around my readers :)I hope you can stop by and decide if you want to take part!

    http://whatmissloves.blogspot.com/2011/03/whatyoulove.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness, that is awful! My grandfather said over the last couple years he always noticed how girls look so nice and guys sometimes just look like they dont care. He would have flipped if he saw this guy!!!

    PS..I'm your newest follower…so happy to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete