Monday, October 12, 2009

if it's not one thing, it is most certainly the other

Do you remember when I posted last week saying that I may be going MIA due to some unpleasantness at work? Well, Thursday while I was preparing for a meeting regarding said unpleasantness, I got a hysterical phone call from my Nana's home health aide. My Nana is 79 years old and she has Alzheimer's and Dementia. Wednesday night, she decided she wanted to make some tea and turned the stove on. Halfway through this, she forgot what she was doing, and did not actually light the stove. She went to bed with the gas from the stove running! Fortunately, a neighbor smelled the gas, called security who came upstairs to unlock her door and turn the gas off. This was something that we had been scared of would happen for a while. Clearly my Nana is not capable of living by herself and needs some serious help. My mother is out of the country, so I am stuck dealing with the situation. I took her to the ER on Thursday to see if they could admit her to the hospital to buy us some time while I can get her 24-hour help. Unfortunately, since there was nothing medically wrong with her they sent her home. My Nana has a home health aide, but her hours are limited during the week, and even more limited on weekends. I am working with her social worker to find a live in aide for her ASAP. Unfortunately, this is going to take at least a week to get someone, do a home visit to see if her house is conducive to having someone living with her, get the medical clearance, etc. Until the agency can place someone with her, I have moved in with her to keep an eye on things. This is not a wonderful arrangement for me. I love my Nana dearly and she is my only remaining grandparent, but more than half the time she does not know who I am. She has woken me up several times in the course of a night thinking that I am a random stranger who broke into her house and rob her. She also does not have cable or internet. I have been spending plenty of time at Barnes & Noble reading wedding magazines to occupy myself and have inadvertently managed to plan out TLS's and my whole wedding. (I do not want to know the cost of this wedding.) Fortunately, my Nana lives walking distance to two of my favorite places- Crumbs and Alice's Tea Cup. I am slightly embarassed to say how many cupcakes I have had within these past four days. Because I will not be going home until at least a week from today, if you have sent me anything and it goes unrecognized, please don't be alarmed. My massive meeting that I was dreading more than an anesthesia-less root canal got moved to Wednesday, and needless to say, I am so not looking forward to it.

TLS decided to partner with the Preppy Princess to send me a much-needed care package at work, and this was waiting for me when I got to work this morning:






Thank you so much to both TLS and the Preppy Princes!!!

If you can please continue to keep my family in your prayers that we are able to find my Nana the help that she needs soon and that I can go on living another week at her house without going completely insane I would greatly appreciate it.

18 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I know how hard it is to help an elderly grandparent - I am thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you prayers, positive thoughts and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending lots of love and prayers to you and your family. I too have one remaining grandparent - my 86 yo grandfather who also suffers from Dementia. It is so hard on a family.

    ((((BIG HUGS))))
    Trac~ ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sending prayers and good thoughts your way. My great grandmother suffered from the exact same things and it was exceptionally hard, especially for my grandmother who did very much the same thing you are doing now - except she lived next door and was able to sleep at home most nights.

    I admire the strength you are showing right now. Stay strong. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im sorry to hear about grammy... at least she is in your life... thats the bright side :) I wish you nothing but the best with her!! and how sweet of TLS to get that for you.. hes such a keeper!! xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, you're an angel. Thoughts and prayers are going your way little lady. So sorry to hear about your Nana. My grandpa had Alzheimer's and dimentia as well and it's one of the most heart breaking diseases. Stay strong :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog! I totally understand how you must feel about the situation with your Nana, my grandma also suffers from dementia and her garage actually caught on fire last weekend, so my family and I are going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness your life has been in crazy mode!! Hang in there! I think cupcakes are just what the doctor ordered!! By the way, did the swap package make it to you??

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a saint. I went through this with my gram and it was not easy. You will get through this with grace and compassion. Your nana is lucky to have you by her side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I feel for you. We had to hire a live in nurse for my Nanny after a couple of episodes with the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know we're thinking of you, and your Nana, it is such a hard thing to deal with, especially with dementia.

    We are both thinking of you and sending you big hugs, lots of good thoughts and our prayers.
    tp

    PS: Oops, thank you for sharing your care package from your Wonderful One, that is too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, I know all too well how rough this situation is - my grandpa suffered from alzheimers for about 15 years and my aunt lived with as a home aide for about 10 of those years. It was a tough situation.

    You and your Nana are in my thoughts!

    (Thank goodness for Crumbs! I'll be in L.A. next week and eating one there - yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, you just need a big ol' hug! Sending you hugs, prayers, and well wishes from down South. I hope your week gets better=)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a rough time you've had! I'm so sorry about your Nana. I know how difficult dealing with someone like that is. I'm here for you if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You poor thing...Thinking of you. My Granddad has dementia also. it is horrible...he forgets everyday that Mimi died over a year ago :( Prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my. How very scary for you!!! And what a wonderful granddaughter and daughter you are :) Your grandmother is so very lucky to have you to step up and take control of the situation for her while your parents are away. I know it's terribly stressful and scary. I mean that. I know. I've been there.

    I am definitely sending calm thoughts your way, and prayers for a good caregiver for your grandmother.

    xx,

    T

    ReplyDelete
  17. We went through the same thing with my great grandmother. She had the same thing, didn't know who we were and kept trying to set the house on fire by leaving electric kettles on the stove and using electric blankets with frayed cords etc. My mum and grandma eventually decided to move her to a retirement home because they couldn't turn their back on her for a minute. It's a really difficult situation and I admire you for moving in with her and taking care of her. Just remember to look after yourself as well. I hope everything works out well for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete