Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wedding Wednesday- the cake

While the flavors of our cakes are decided and set in stone, as is the look of TLS's groom's cake, I have no clue of what to do for the look of our wedding cake. I know what I don't want- anything too modern, anything too busy, anything involving rhinestones, and I have a serious aversion to cake toppers. (There will be no giant Swarovski crystal encrusted S on top of our cake.) I have spent some serious time researching cakes to find out what I want for mine.

While I have never been too fond of copying celebrity weddings, I picked up the latest issue of OK Magazine on base (yes, that's right, our most current issues are 3.5 weeks+ old) and was looking through the pictures of Hilary Duff's wedding. While I was not a fan of most of the details, oh my G-d, that cake was sheer perfection.
I love the simple elegance of it. Such a plain cake says so much. Gorgeous. Since we have two different cake and filling flavors, this would not work out so well for our wedding sadly. (I will neither confirm nor deny momentarily thinking about changing our cake flavors so that I could have this cake.)

I love the use of flowers (real or sugar flowers) in cakes.
Hate the topper, love the cake.

Love this blue and white Jasperware inspired cake:

Beautiful and simple:

Love the monogram and the alternating colors, not a fan of the Rosemary.

Really loving this textured white on white look with sugar pearls.

(I have made myself sufficiently hungry so now I am off to go eat a fluffernutter.)

14 comments:

  1. Awww....no giant crystal S? Why not? (just kidding)

    I completely agree with your taste in cakes. Simple really is best. I wish I could find a pic of a cake from a wedding I was in last year. It was lovely. Just perfect in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looooooooove that first cake under the 'beautiful, but simple' heading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the hilary duff cake, too!!! you don't see things like that very often. i would have maybe for a hot minute thought of changing my filling flavors, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! And pretty! We had a Wedgewood inspired cake from a picture we got from martha stewart weddings. Our baker at the reception site copied it PERFECTLY and had the yellow fondant too. The icing was in white and it had garlands and flower cameos to reflect the architecture in our reception site. LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and PS: we didn't have a cake topper - but rather one on the side of pipe cleaner versions of us that you find on etsy riding a bike (our wedding was cycling themed). My mother made it. Still trying to find a good place for it in our apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Cake was similar to the second one with candied pearls all over it. I loved it and so did my husband. Very similar however it had a couple fresh flowers on it not alot and all the flowers were white. I would still pick it again, if I were to ever purchase a wedding cake again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh now I'm starving! I love your taste in cakes and can't wait to see what you decide on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake was one of the hardest choices for me. I loved so many different designs -- but I am totally with you on the Giant Crystal cake topper -- not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That IS a very hard decision. I agree that I am not a huge HD fan but her cake is pretty stunning. I liked your simplest choices, especially that plain white with just a few bunches of flowers. That one is quite lovely.

    PS: Fluff is amazing. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMM! Fluffernutter! Those cakes are beautiful. Also, I didn't know Hilary Duff was getting married! I also hated cake toppers HATED them, because I thought they were either corny or lame, and I planned to have flowers on top... And then I found a gorgeous unique elegant cake topper at David's Bridal and I changed the topper about a week before the wedding. I really do need to write a wedding recap blog because I have yet to compile everything... But if you are interested in seeing our cake (square 3-tiered buttercream frosting with dif. designs on each tier) let me know. Picking the cake was my FAVORITE thing of wedding planning! Invitations and guest lists were my hate. oh, now I really want to make this blog!

    REPLY: Yes, the stairwells, but we're moving onto Vogelweh b/c the wait list for Ramstein is literally a year minimum! We live on the 3rd floor now (off base) but I swear our stairs hurt more than the stairs in the stairwells!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've tagged you in a blog award... hope all is well, and you've gotten some grapes (and not just wine!!!)

    http://howimetyourfatherblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/little-miss-blog-list.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can totally see a you with a monogrammed cake. My Mom and Dad had a floral bouquet on top and used it to toss to the girls under 18 at the wedding. Our cake was loaded with fruit on top and on each layer. I did have a topper, which was borrowed from my parents, but it was laying towards the bottom of the cake. (nuptial cross)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm with you on getting a simple cake! I don't think we're even going to get fondant

    ReplyDelete