Sunday, December 18, 2011

An Open Letter

Dear Glee,

Having finally watched the Christmas special today, I know I am a bit late on the bandwagon, but I have to say that I was a little annoyed at the special this year.

As a Member of the Tribe, I understand that we are one of the smallest religions out there. However, the show has several Jewish characters, two of which have thrown being Jewish into every single other episode. (Does anyone else remember Puck complaining that he couldn't get a kosher meal in juvie?) I was surprised last year when there was not a single mention of Hannukah. I thought for sure that Puck or Rachel would have raised a stink about having to sing only Christmas music. I was also a little surprised (and not in a good way) when Rachel Berry gave Finn a Christmas list. Shouldn't it at the very least have been a Hannukah list? I know at the very end of the episode, she did say "Happy Hannukah," but at that point it didn't belong. It's like- you've spent the whole episode talking about Christmas, why bring up Hannukah now with 5 seconds left in it?

Someone please tell me I'm not alone in feeling this way.

4 comments:

  1. oh yes -- this was something that did irk me. it would have been very easy to follow a story line for the eight Hanukkah nights and how each time rachel was disappointed.

    glee definitely took the easy way out on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch, but if there are Jewish characters, one would think that Hanukkah would be included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, they definitely make a stink about Rachel and Puck being Jewish - I thought the same thing as you, you are not alone! Rachel even made a "Christmas List" WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fuzzy pink heart Glee, but the whole episode irked me.

    Artie was a complete grinch, there was hardly a mention of Hannakah and they made Blaine & Kurt ski chalet "room mates" instead of acknowledging a relationship.

    ReplyDelete