Monday, October 4, 2010

My First Menu Monday

I love cooking. The only thing  I love more than cooking is eating. Usually, if I'm not talking about food, that's only because I'm currently eating at the time. (Just how much I love to talk about food became apparent in the Spring when my future mother-in-law called to assure me that even if Volcanogate prevented TLS from going to his brother's wedding in Nebraska, they would still make sure that I got some Sonic Cherry Limeade.)

I have always had issues with my weight (including a brief bout of anorexia in the 8th grade). Lately, I have been getting frustrated with myself. I seem to have gotten in a funk and get frustrated with myself and my appearance easily.  I lose 2 pounds, then I gain 3. (I was told by TLS's father and several women here in Germany that when you first move here, you usually gain 25 pounds. I can see why. The food here is amazing.) I have congenital heart disease and had open heart surgery when I was 4. I'm fine now heart-wise thankfully but this is the most that I have ever weighed. For me to put on any more weight would be a huge detriment to my health and I risk getting more problems down the road. Also, TLS has to pass a PT test every 6 months if he wants to keep his job (yay military) so I always try to cook as healthy as possible for the two of us. I feel like we are not eating as much veggies as we should, so this week I am trying to throw as many vegetables as possible into the mix.

Our other challenge has been actually sticking to the menu plans that I create. I am hoping that this will be our first week of not straying from the menu plans.

Without further ado, here is this week's menu.
Monday- Vegetarian French Onion Soup, Angel Cake with 7 Minute Frosting
Tuesday- Chicken wings (my special recipe), sesame string bean salad
Wednesday- Turkey Taco Night- I will be at a friend's house until late and won't have time to cook dinner beforehand. Whenever I make anything that calls for ground meat, I always use ground turkey instead of beef. You can't really tell the difference tastewise, but you cut out so many calories that way.
Thursday- Vegetarian Burgers, salad, oven roasted lime and black pepper fries
Friday- Herbed spaghetti squash, salad, baked apples a la mode- I have never had spaghetti squash before but I've heard that it's delicious. I saw it at the commissary the other day and decided to try it and throw a new vegetable into our routine. 


We are thinking about driving down to Austria or Switzerland for the weekend, so any weekend meals will be eaten out.

8 comments:

  1. It really is hard to stick to a meal plan -- I've been trying the same thing for my husband and I. Looks like your plan is tasty enough to stick to though!

    Um -- drive to Austria or Switzerland....I am for sure jealous. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i find it so hard to stick to a menu plan, especially when work and life and incidentals just get in the way of everything. you sound like you have a great start, though, especially being so heart-wise. i'd love to read your chicken wing recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family pretty much always used ground turkey growing up - I'm used to it! And I've gotten my husband into it too, since he needs to lower his cholesterol (and really, you can barely taste the difference!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We make a week plan too and shop for the food on the weekend. We find that if we really don't want something we scheduled, as long as we pick from the menu we have listed, we've still won. We also allow for take-out once a week, since by Friday, neither one of us feels like cooking. It's our scheduled bad day.
    You'll lose the weight. I have faith. It must be hard though being in THE land of beer and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a hard time of planning a menu. So what I do is whenever, there is a sale on lets say chicken breast or any other kind of meat I buy it! I always store all meat or Fish in the freezer. This way when I want to make lets say a meatloaf i have all of the fixings. Buy the way I am making Meatloaf for dinner with Creamed corn as a vegatable. I will post the Creamed Corn and Meatloaf recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I give you credit for making a menu plan, sticking to it, and cooking healthy! So hard to do this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! i really need to start menu planning. One thing I've learned is to make sure the ground turkey is 100% white meat -or else the ground turkey is the same fat and calories as ground beef. and they add all sorts of gross fillers if it's not 100% white meat. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. Let me know how the spaghetti squash was - I've been interested in trying it too, but my hubby is a little weird about new/strange foods. Also, do you get the ground turkey at the commissary (if so where?) because that is a wonderful idea. I don't cook with beef very often at ALL because of how unhealthy it is. Of course lately, I've sucked at cooking in general... =/

    ReplyDelete