Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wedding Wednesday- Business in the Front, Party in the Back

First of all, I must apologize for my severe lack of posting this week. TLS got switched to the night shift for the week and my sleep cycle has been seriously affected by it. Combined with my recent flu shot, I have just been a total zombie. Every time I have tried to start a blog post, I have not had the energy to finish it.

This week's Wedding Wednesday is dedicated to what TLS will be wearing to our wedding. I love, love, love uniforms at weddings (there really is something about a man in uniform- swoon) so there was no question that he would be wearing his dress uniform to our wedding. (Thankfully for me, he wanted to get married in uniform!) TLS will be wearing his Mess Dress uniform, which is the Air Force equivalent of a tuxedo. (For those of you who watched the Today Show wedding- the uniform that Jeremy wore was his Mess Dress.)


Last weekend, TLS and I went to the Air Force ball. After all of the formalities had been done, and dancing had started, I noticed that a lot of people had the craziest shirts on that clearly weren't GI (government issued). Two of my friends' husbands explained to me that these shirts are called "party shirts." Once the formal part of a military event is over with and you can remove your jacket, you are considered to be out of uniform, and can technically wear what you want. Since bringing a set of clothing to change into isn't feasible, people started getting these shirts made to express their personalities. As long as the collar, front part, and cuffs are all white, the rest of your shirt that is not visible when you have a jacket on can be whatever color you want it to be.

Business in the front, party in the back. Hence the title of today's post.

We saw some crazy ones, including one that I called the preppy shirt- white fabric with nautical flags and sailboats all over it.

As some of you may know, TLS is a die-hard Cubs fan. Yes, this has led to much disappointment in his young life. After hanging out with my friends and their husbands, TLS has informed me that he will be getting a Chicago Cubs party shirt to wear to our wedding. Le Sigh. While it might not be my first choice of attire for him, it will make him happy and you gotta admit that the contrast of the uniform with his Cubs shirt will look really good in pictures. What's a girl to do? I am now on the hunt for Cubs print fabric to make into the sleeves of his shirt. JoAnn Fabrics only sells Cubs print fleece fabrics. Nothing is more appropriate for a late May wedding than fleece. Nothing.

16 comments:

  1. check ebay or a fabric store. they always have that stuff. thats a fun story about the uniforms. lol.

    so you have a photo from the ball? I would love to see what you and he wore. you can email it to me if you dont wana post it on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Love! This is priceless. Never seen anything like it before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO funny! I've never heard of that. His dress uniform will look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another option, if you can't find the fabric separately, is to buy one of the Cub dress shirts that are already made and change the cuffs and collar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another option, if you can't find the fabric separately, is to buy one of the Cub dress shirts that are already made and change the cuffs and collar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! Love the Cubbie comments--the bf is in the same boat. He likes to say he was used to disappointment early in life. ;) Best of luck finding non-fleece options!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contact the Cubs PR folks to see if they have any sources for Cubs fabrics. You might get a freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Cubs! Might have a life time of disappointment (actually, I've been to some playoff games in my life where the Cubs not only won, but creamed the other team and moved on to the next round! Totally exciting...) But, there is one thing: we love our teams no matter what. Loyal fans! Disappointment is the life of any Chicago team fan, though. Haha. You learn to deal. Hehe. How was the ball? Other than your blog, I never heard anything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh WOW -- what a great idea!! this is going to be so amazing. have you tried ebay???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea to personalize your shirt. I think it makes it your own and it will bring the personallity into the shirt. Good luck finding fabric. Have you ever thought about contacting the Cubs to see who they have licensed with so you can go directly to the source.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crack me up -- the Cubs shirt is going to be great!
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is seriously funny! Love the idea of the Cubs shirt for the wedding too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude, I am psyched! Can I have a custom back of my dress?!??!!??!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE THIS! My husband is a HUGE Cubs fan too and has had the same disappointments in life! I don't know that he would have worn a shirt like that, but he didn't have to worry about it for our wedding! We had a baseball-themed reception (one of the things we enjoy doing together) and we wore baseball jerseys over our formal attire!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BFF Jill catching up here - so based on the photo w/ the Kobe Bryant back I would suggest buying a jersey for his favorite player and making that the back of his shirt and using red and white to augment whatever is needed? I think it will make the shirt look and feel dressier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. MLB doesn't release or license cotton fabrics, only fleece If you would like to order a "party shirt" I found a website that does it- you choose the fabric. www.tackytux.com

    ReplyDelete