Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wedding Wednesday- And the best part is, you can shorten it and wear it again

As you may have guessed, this post deals with one of the not so fun aspects of weddings, bridesmaid dresses. (And yes, it is a reference to one of my favorite feel-good movies, 27 dresses.)

When I first got engaged, I went out and bought every single British wedding magazine in WH Smith. And then every wedding magazine I could find in Barnes & Noble. After flipping through pages of the same exact advertisements, I noticed that a lot of the bridesmaid dresses just plain sucked. Tulle and rhinestones? No thank you.

To be perfectly honest, I spent more time online looking for the right bridesmaid dresses than I did looking for my dress. I had a very clear idea of what I wanted in my head but everything I saw was just not it. Something extra was always there or something was missing. (I wanted knee-length, navy blue, sleeveless, v neck dresses that were not shiny, and didn't have tulle. My plan was to get the same dress for all three women in my bridal party and have a lime green sash for the Maid of Honor, and hot pink ones for my two bridesmaids.) You'd be surprised at how difficult it is to find a simple, shorter dress.


I finally decided on two dresses that both my bridesmaids and I liked. When I come back to New York in November, I am making appointments to look at both and try them on in person. (It is my personal belief that if you would not wear a dress yourself, then it is unfair of you to make your friends wear it to your wedding.)

The Marni by Jenny Yoo in Eastern Shantung:

and the Alex from Lulakate in Dupioni:

I want to see both dresses in person to make sure that the sashes will work with them. From what it looks like on the Jenny Yoo site, none of the pinks that they have are exactly what I have in mind, so I need to see those in person. Lulakate does have a lot more color options and have the exact pink I want, which is a huge plus.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I am a big fan of silk dupioni -- such a pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of them! Simple classic and yes they could easily wear it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Lulukate dress--so pretty!

    And I agree, I don't think anyone should make their bridesmaids wear something that they wouldn't wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I love your rule! I chose dresses that I would wear-- the cotton cady collection at Jcrew-- because I would not ask someone to wear something gross!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Marni by Jenny Yoo in Eastern Shantung Is judt simply Fabulous. I would love to wear that dress to any event!!! Your bridesmades are very lucky to have a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both of those dresses, so cute!!! I feel like J.Crew would have good, simple navy dresses too. But I absolutely love that second dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the Alex because it has pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just a reminder I love the Jenny Yoo. We can get sashes made in the right colors I promise! xxoxo BFF JILL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore BOTH of the dresses you have picked out. And, as someone who has been in gobs of weddings I really appreciate your desire to pick out a dress that is presh and can be worn again :)

    ReplyDelete