Thursday, August 4, 2011

Extreme Couponing

TLS and I have caught a few episodes of the show on our AppleTV like many, were disturbed by it. I don't really see how the people on the show are any different from Hoarders. I assumed that something like this could not actually happen here. Unlike the stores that participants on the show shop at, the commissary does not double coupons or allow you to use more than one coupon on an item.

Boy was I wrong. The other night TLS and I went to the commissary. I was in the personal care aisle trying to locate a bottle of lens cleaner when my husband gestured to two women a couple of feet away from us. They were taking all of the deodorant off the shelves and putting it in carts. At first I assumed they were commissary workers who were rearranging the aisles. Well you know what happens when you assume. I realized that they were not wearing name tags and had a coupon binder along with a spreadsheet with them indicating what to buy and how much of. After they cleaned out one brand of deodorant, they moved onto the next one. And I mean cleaned out. They did not leave a single one on the shelf. How rude.
I was so stunned that I had to take a sly iphone picture. Yes that first cart is filled with nothing but deodorant. And she was still pulling more off the shelf. Also, please note how there are three shopping carts there for two women!

TLS said he was tempted to go up to them and thank them for the generous donation to the USO or Wounded Warrior Center...

11 comments:

  1. ohmygosh no way! i love watching extreme couponing just because they are NUTS when it comes to shopping and TAKING OVER the store haha. how funny you SAW someone doing it! eeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that show is so strangely addictive. i saw someone couponing at my parents' grocery store recently and was tempted to follow them around to see where the sales were :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was on my Reader immediately after I read your post....couldn't resist sharing, so apropos!

    http://www.everythingturquoise.com/2011/08/personal-shopper-coupon-organizer.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.. i hope that is going to a good cause, and not to just sit on a shelf in someone's basement. you're totally right - this is just another kind of hoarding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's just hope they were making a donation for something and just so happened to have a bunch of coupons... I love coupons, don't get me wrong - but I don't go crazy... I mean, let's be honest, how much deodorant does one person really need? It will be on sale again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all about couponing and saving money, but THAT is absurd. They won't use all that deodorant in a lifetime. That is hoarding. I have a "stockpile" but I was actually buying for my vacation next week. Then I'll be cleaned out and ready for my next shopping trip. I'm just glad to save money. Seriously....WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand the the shelf clearing thing at all! If it's a great deal I will make a stockpile for us, but how do you ever use all that stuff before it expires! I hope they do give some away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The show is strangely interesting to watch, some of them do donate the items. Hopefully they send them to our troops overseas! You would think that would be more considerate when emptying the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From a NORMAL couponer - they are crazy. And that is ridiculous! Who needs that much deodorant?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG... I will never understand the need to take more than you need, or can reasonable use. I can only hope they were putting together care packages for the troops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's crazy! I coupon shop and use a binder but I rarely buy more than two of anything. I mean, one thing of deodorant lasts a long time. I've never seen any clear a shelf like that either- insane! And rude!

    ReplyDelete