Friday, August 26, 2011

Shake Shack Wedding

If you follow me on Twitter or facebook, then you probably know my love obsession of the Shake Shack. The Shake Shack is a Danny Meyer restaurant that was created to mimic the all-American roadside burger stand. When it first opened, people flocked to it because it was a Danny Meyer property. The Shake Shack also has its own meat blend from Pat La Frieda (the same butcher who provides meat to the top restaurants in the city, including the $26 burger). However, unlike either of their other establishments a burger, fries, and a Coke will set you back about $9! This place gained an instant cult following in NYC and has started expanding to Kuwait, Qatar, and DC.

When yours truly had her first Shack Burger, she was hooked. I have eaten many a meal there and love to pop in for the custard flavor of the day. Right before my shower, I went out with my two bridesmaids in NYC. After a night of drinking, we needed some food. So off to the nearest Shake Shack- the original Madison Square Park location- we went. The two girls behind us in the line were talking about the burgers and one of them said "can we split a burger?" When they were out of earshot, GNB, my MOH said in a mocking voice "can we split our dignity?" Yes. Shake Shack is that important. It is one of the things I miss most about NYC and whenever I come back, getting a burger is one of the first things I do! (Usually, it's also my last meal right before I head to the airport.)

Originally, TLS and I wanted to do our rehearsal dinner at the Shake Shack, but unfortunately, the party room space was a bit too small for us. Instead, we decided to go there after our wedding. At the end of the night, we looked up the times for all of the locations, and raced into a cab to get to the Times Square location before it closed. When we got up to order our burgers, the woman taking our order giggled a bit and gave us her 20% employee discount. While we were looking for seats, everyone in there was looking at us and a lot of people offered us congratulations. We noticed that all of a sudden, everyone else in there started talking about weddings. Imagine that. One of the employees came over and brought us little custard parfait desserts which we immediately devoured. (The custard of the day was Red Velvet. YUM.)
my patented Masha face
Once upon a time, I was young and naive and thought I would actually get to eat the food at my own wedding. Yea, not so much.

While we were talking and eating our yummy burgers, the manager of the store came out. She noticed my wedding dress and immediately got interested. She came over with a mini bottle of Prosecco and two glasses. She then proceeded to make us a goody bag of every single shirt that they sell and a pair of flip flops (which my husband has been using at the gym as shower shoes). She tried to send us home with more burgers and a pint of custard, but we said no thank you. We were on our way to the Ritz.
us with our goody bag
Just so y'all understand how much we love the Shack- the Ritz was about a 3 minute walk from where we got married. We took a cab about 40 blocks up, and then another one 40 blocks down just for some burgers and fries. That's commitment.

The next day, when we got back to my mother's house, we modeled our his and hers Shack shirts for her. We were being silly in her living room and she snapped this picture with my iphone.
notice the post-wedding half updo
Y'all, this is the man I'm spending the rest of my life with.

I'm trying to convince my husband that we need to use one of the two pictures of the two of us as our holiday card picture this year, but he just doesn't want to seem to get on board. Someone please convince him otherwise.

20 comments:

  1. ZOMG sooooo cute!! and shake shack is TOTALLY worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this post made me SMILE...I *just* popped my Shake Shack cherry at the one at the Nats Ballpark here in DC. SO worth the long wait in line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went once in DC. SO delicious. I love that you went 40 blocks for a cheeseburger. A girls got to do what a girls got to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally precious. I love it. And now I need to take a trip to NYC! :-) Never had Shake Shack! And love that they gave you so many goodies too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh heck yea! The one of you guys in your dress/his dress blues (is that right?? anyhoo..) with the Shake Shack bag. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome! Now THAT makes some great memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT! mash... can you believe ive never had a shake shack? going make the bf take me there when we go to ny in september. i will be thinking of you the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that you went there!! haha... and you guys are adorable together! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. i absolutely have to try a shake shack burger my next time in the us. love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What cute pictures! I definitely need to try the one in DC--I've heard so many good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute are you?! I just came across your blog and am seriously loving it! it's so cute and I love all your tips and pictures =] It was an instant follow!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. i LOVE the shake shack...brace yourself for what I had the last time I was there. its quite obscene: shack burger, fries, concrete jungle, black and white shake, and we of course had to go the custard flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome! I think you should use one for the Christmas card! Maybe you could do a few photos and use one of them to get your hubby to agree!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sooo cute! And I love that you traveled 40 blocks for your burger - THAT is commitment! :-)
    Great photo and totally "captures" you guys as a couple - holiday card worthy for sure! XOXO
    www.shopaholicinalabama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally see going to Tasty Burger between my wedding and reception.. Shake Shack needs to move to Boston ASAP!

    ..and CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha!! I just love this!!! I work around the corner from that Shake Shack... I haven't been in awhile I think it's about time.
    Love that the manager brought out the presecco!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh. my. gosh. i love this!! love love love.

    adorable.

    i've never been to shake shack, but now i must. if you made it there in your wedding dress i know it is worth it!!

    also, you need to send that out as your christmas card. just show TLS all of the affirmative comments :)

    ReplyDelete