Wednesday, September 16, 2009

the joys of moving internationally- take 1

I am a princess and am very much a type A personality. I like things to always be a certain way. I'm not big on change, and am brand loyal. When I find something that works for me, I stick with it and buy it in several different colors. In short, I am a marketer's dream. (Please take a moment to ponder the irony of a girl who's not big on change moving to another country.)

When TLS and I have first discussed applying for an overseas assignment, the very first thing I asked him was "will there be a salon for me to get my hair done?" No joke. When I was in England, he took me to the BX (Base Exchange- basically like a Target-type store for military members and their dependents) so I could see what it was like. I have been taught that if I don't have anything nice to say, to not say anything at all, so I will refrain on commenting on their womens' clothing options. Let's just say that I will not be shopping for my clothes at the BX when we're in Germany. For this, TLS is very grateful.

Before I move, I will have to buy several pairs of jeans, bras, and basically 2-3 of every makeup product I own to last me for at least a while so that I don't have to worry about buying things I use on a daily basis as soon as I get there. (Take note- sometime around February would be a good time to start buying Sephora stock.)

Also, I have started compiling a list of companies that ship via Priority Mail to APO addresses so that it doesn't take me 2-6 months to get my packages. If you are a retailer that ships via Priority Mail or know of one, please let me know so I can add it to my list. So far, the list consists of:
Vineyard Vines
The Preppy Princess
Amazon.com
Drugstore.com
Build a Bear

Another thing that scares me about moving is my employment situation, or lack thereof. Even though the base that we will be stationed at is a large one, its website for spouses and dependents cautions that it may not be easy to find a job and can take around 6 months to get a job in your area of expertise. It is easy to find a job, but not the job that you would want. I have 5 years of finance experience. I have never worked in foodservice or retail. I have zero desire to work at the local base Subway making subs. While I appreciate the website's honesty, I have always held a job since I was 15, and the thought of being unemployed at 27 scares me. Sadly, unemployed wives are a part of the military culture, and that is something that I'm going to have to get used to. I volunteer for my sorority, and at the end of this school year, I have been told that I have to step down from my position because even though most of what I do is via email and financial databases, I need to be available to make it to meetings, conferences, and do phone calls, and that's just not possible with me so far away. I understand the reasoning behind this completely, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

So, just to recap, 12 months from now, I will have really shiny hair, be unemployed, and will spend my days playing Wii and dress up with two of my teddy bears until my husband gets home from work. Fantastic.

12 comments:

  1. Plus whatever wont ship I can mail you.

    I will not mail you your hairstylist tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll find ways of getting what you need/want eventually, even possibly a job. I moved to Cayman 1 1/2 years ago - it's tough, but after a while, it becomes an adventure, trying to find shampoo or something like that! hahaha And Germany is fab!!! Not only that, but you'll probably be only a train ride or super-cheap flight from Paris, Frankfort, Berlin, London, Milan, Rome, Venice... need I go on??? It's going to be fantastic!!! Best of lucK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh!!! well at least it will be an experience.. and that my friend, is why they invented online shopping!!! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a time in your life you may never get to experience again. Enjoy your free time when there to tour the city and get to know where you live until you get a job. It could be lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an adventure! Take a deep breath, everything will get organized and you'll be over there in no time, and I'm sure you'll find great shopping too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's so good that you're making plans to take all of your necessities with you- minimizing the culture shock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish, wish, wish, we were heading your way! I can't complain to much, exciting things are happening for us career wise as well.

    You will find that several military spouses and unemployed. You may be pleasantly surprised at how many of them are employed. It can be tough to find decent jobs, and making the compromises between spending time with your husband and work. I am sure that they will have a volunteer program, so that way you don't have to sit at home all day, and can still be productive!

    Military life has its ups and downs, but it has been great for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. On an up note, you will have people like me and The Consort camping out on your doorstep! :)

    Sending you a smile and a hug,
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy this time! A friend of mine is living in Scotland while her husband is in school. They have so many fun adventures! http://ashlielizabeth.blogspot.com

    My hubby-to-be and I are thinking about trying to get assigned to Germany when he gets back from deployment. We both want to travel the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister in law lives in Germany. Shop here! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be more than happy to ship you things... however I also cannot mail you your hairstylist!!

    Bless your heart for taking such a huge jump into the unknown! It is going to be amazing - and you will get used to it AND find an amazing job - I'm sure of it!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. well hellooo..i just ran in to your blog! you're not alone, we're about to move to switzerland!

    ReplyDelete