Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Most Epic Day of my Life (warning LONG post)

Yesterday was a big day for me.

It started off with TLS going house hunting for us. Right now is high  PCS time (Permanent Change of Station- when service members and their families move from one base to another) so the housing market is crazy competitive. Houses are gone within a day so if you want to get a house, be prepared to sign a contract on the spot! Time was running out for us to find a house (TLS can only stay in the base hotel for so long) and TLS found us one yesterday. It is a duplex apartment with four bedrooms and 2.5 baths. I am very excited because this means that I get to live out my dream of using a bedroom as a big walk in closet! That is a whole lot of shoes. And purses.

After that, I had an appointment at Kleinfeld to go dress shopping with my mom and my two best friends (MOH and bridesmaid). I have read a lot of not so great reviews of Kleinfeld online and I have to say that I was more than pleasantly surprised. I tried on probably 7-10 dresses (after a while, they all start to look the same, so I'm unsure of the exact number) and ended up finding THE perfect dress. When the consultant brought it in for me to try on, my mother and I both thought that she was deranged, and it ended up being the one that looked the best on me! It was only about half of what my Nana gave me to spend on a dress, which means I have more money to play around with for shoes and accessories! The consultant is friends with my wedding planner, so even though the dress was below my budget, they still knocked a couple of hundred bucks off which was awesome! Gracie Beth- my mom saw a ridiculously over the top Pnina Tornai dress that of course she fell in love with and decided I had to try. Fortunately, the consultant informed her that it was over $24,000 (!!!!) and being that my mother thankfully doesn't love me that much, I was spared.

After dress shopping, my mother decided to take us girls out for champagne to celebrate. It had been a while since we had all eaten and the champagne started to hit us pretty quickly. After my mother left, we decided to pop into the restaurant next door for some appetizers and girl talk. My best friend RAA and I will eat just about anything. And we clearly proved this last night. As we're hungrily waiting at the hostess stand to be seated, she notices a bowl of pillow mint-looking candies, and points them out to me. They just look so good that we cannot help ourselves but grab some! GNB looks on at us and goes "I'll pass." As we're shoving the oddest tasting candies EVER into our mouths, the host comes back to the stand, looks at us, and goes "what are you doing? Those are dog treats!" At this point, RAA and I cannot spit them out fast enough and are so grossed out while GNB cannot stop laughing hysterically. He leads us to our table and we notice that right next to us are two drag queens. You want to not look, but you just can't. Especially when two guys can apply eyeliner perfectly and you still can't without stabbing yourself in the eye. After about 5 minutes of nonchalantly pretending not to stare, enough people had asked to take a picture with them to officially not label us as "those creepy girls" so we went over and asked to take a picture with them. Once again, GNB sat this one out and took our picture. I was wearing Lilly Pulitzer spaghetti strap McKims, a Vineyard Vines seersucker skirt with seahorses on it, and a VV polo. RAA was coming from work and was in a suit. And here we are in a picture with two guys in dresses, sparkly silver gogo boots, and bouffant wigs. Only us. The manager came over to with us and at this point, RAA and I felt the need to talk to him about the quality of dog treats that is served in his establishment. Commercials usually advertise dog treats as being meaty/gamey/fishy, but these only tasted like slightly salty styrofoam. That's right, we became instant experts on dog treats. I don't even have a dog. One glass of champagne each folks. He ended up sending us a free strawberry shortcake which we devoured in record time.

My wedding planner wanted to come dress shopping with us but could not make it due to a family function, so she sent me a text message asking to send her pictures. As I was emailing them to her, I clicked on the wrong contact and sent them to an ex boyfriend. Classy. Some days I really do think it's a small wonder that natural selection has not wiped me out yet.

8 comments:

  1. I'm laughing,laughing,laughing! Dog treats, Drag Queen's! Only in NYC :) So glad you found your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! At least you're making some awesome memories. Congrats on the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you found a dress! I love my shout out! I know my mother and I will have an interesting time if I get married finding a dress for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad for all the fun things happening for you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Love the post--I think my favorite part is when you accidentally sent the photos to an ex. Glad you lucked out on a lovely dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, Epic only half describes this day! The text picture slip to the ex is classic! Congrats on the dress, on the house and all the big things that are happening to you xxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. First, yay for the new house. Second, I really wanted to go to Kleinfelds for my dress, but never quite made it there. Who was your consultant? Do you watch say yes to the dress? xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing post and so so funny!!! The guys in drag probably though you were freaks for eating dog treats. Love this.

    ReplyDelete