Friday, June 25, 2010

S-T-R-E-S-S-E-D

Yesterday, the movers came. In order to save me time and energy, and give me back some sanity, TLS and I decided to go with a full service move, which meant that the movers would pack everything up for me. After all, few things scream "safety" quite like inviting three strange men into your house to pack up your underwear.

The moving company came to my house to do an estimate and arranged to come here from 2-3pm. Then, they called me the day before asking if they could move my appointment down to 1:00pm. Even better. They called me at 2:30pm on Thursday saying they were going to get here around 5. They showed up at 6:00pm. I live(d) in a Co-op building with strict rules, and needless to say, my housing board does not allow for movers at 10:00pm. They were here for 4.5 hours and at the end, I really started questioning why we were doing this. Things that I specifically asked them not to pack- my ipod cord, a change purse with Euro coins in it, several bags of things that were going to the Salvation Army, etc. got packed. Things that I asked them to pack, naturally, got left behind. In addition, one of them left his toolbag here. They managed to pack up almost all of my summer clothes and attempted to pack my laundry hamper full of dirty clothes. Fortunately, that one I noticed right away and had them unpack it. My summer clothes did not meet the same fate. Thankfully, due to the Vineyard Vines Friends and Family sale and the generosity of my fiance, I have four polo shirts and a Preppy Whale Tee coming to Germany. (Vineyard Vines, I owe you a huge thank you- your sale could not have come at a more appropriate time and the fact that you ship to APO addresses is a huge plus!) My super saw the movers at like 10pm, and told them that they were not allowed to be here, so at that point, they just got careless and started throwing things around. I am scared to see what all of my stuff will look like when it finally gets to Germany. They left my apartment a mess and I am now here trying to clean it up and figure out what to do with all of the things that got left behind. Grrrrr.

4 comments:

  1. That's awful! But you'll get through it. :) Maybe you should file a bit of a complaint? d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, sorry it was so disorganized! I have never even heard of movers coming to pack your things, and I'm not sure I would trust them! I hope all of your stuff gets to Germany!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness my dear, this sounds soooo stressful! I'm so sorry :( Keep your chin up, it'll be over soon!!

    ReplyDelete