Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I have such a refined palate

This weekend I had a slight altercation with my freezer. I rather pleasantly discovered that both my refrigerator and freezer had decided to defrost themselves and stop working just because. Both were plugged in and still made that noise that appliances are supposed to make to let you know that they are, in fact, working. I had a lot of food in there and had to get rid of everything except for some wine and water. Needless to say, this did not make me very happy. From time to time, my mother likes to take me on grocery shopping "dates" to buy me grocery and to give herself the peace of mind that I am, in fact, eating healthy. Usually, I am pretty good about buying whole wheat pasta vs. regular, and get a lot of veggies, etc. Upon hearing of the Great Appliance Debacle of 2009, my mother jumped at the opportunity to take me grocery shopping. Until the repairman comes to take a look at it, I am stuck eating non-perishables and takeout. After convincing my mom that I am still eating healthy, I ended up picking up a can of Ocean Spray Cranberry jelly (not the sauce with the berries in it, mind you- the straight up jelly), and an envelope of Oriental flavored Ramen noodles because I love and was craving both those things at the time. This did nothing to alleviate my mother's fears.

So let's hear it- are there any bad for you or gross sounding foods that you just love and can't resist but are semi-embarassed to admit that you like?

On a sort of related note, I am a big fan of Ranch flavored Wheat Thins. I have been hooked since my mother sent me a box in a care package my freshman year of college. (At the time, my mother got discounted FedEx through her job and you should have seen the look on my roommate's face when I opened the important-looking FedEx box. "Your mother just overnighted you a box of crackers.") Lately, I have not been able to find them anywhere. Every single grocery/drug/Target/etc. store I go to, I look for them and they are never there. And yes, I did look for them in Chicago. Of course, the fact that I am unable to get them just makes me want them that much more. I found them on Amazon.com and was trying to figure out if ordering a 6-pack of cracker boxes off the internet would legitimately qualify me as crazy. By the time that I realized I didn't care and was ready to order them, they, of course, sold out. I am a woman on a mission now. The Nabisco website has a Wheat Thin locator where you can type in your zip code and it will tell you where all of the boxes of Wheat Thins are for sale within a 5 mile radius of your house. The locator definitely lies because at least 2 or 3 of those stores do not have them, but I will make it my mission to visit every store on that list if I have to. Victory will be mine. And don't think I haven't asked TLS to check to see if the commissary on his base has them. Few things make a lot of sense like sending a box of American-made crackers from the United Kingdom to the United States does. And since I know he's reading this, happy one month-versary dear. :)

18 comments:

  1. Im actually allergic!! yikes... xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of regular Wheat Thins and Ranch so those sure look good. I'll have to check for them at our grocery store next time i'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww happy 3 month-aversary!!!

    And I haven't had these but they sound so good!! If I see some next time I'm at the store (should be next week) I will pick them up up and send em up to you!! :)

    Good luck with your appliances!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh we are having fridge issues too--just ordered a new one. I love beef jerkey (which grosses most people out). xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little ritz bitz crackers with the fake cheese in the middle...yummm....

    I'm sorry to hear about your appliance woes. I'm just getting over that myself (but with my stove - the fridge broke last year). Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wheat thin locator--like some sort of wheat thin gps? Is that like microchipping a pet? I guess if I ever am in a bind, I'll know where to get them. Ranch do sound delicious. And yes, I love that your mother overnighted you a box of crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. spicy cheezits. they are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had the ranch wheat thins but I love the rosemary & olive oil triscuits!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot buy the ranch wheat thins because they are so good and I will eat the entire box!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ranch-flavored wheat thins. Haven't had them in ages though...

    I love to mix my corn and mashed potatoes together which everyone - other than my dad who does it as well - finds gross. They also find it amusing as I hate for my food to touch each other on my plate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hot dogs, could eat 'em everyday but I don't. When my vegetarian husband goes away on business, I have a little meat festival and eat as many hot dogs and as much bacon as I can stand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have them at my WalMart - I can send you some if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had those, but they sound amazing. I'm so sorry about your refridgerator. Oh well, never a dull moment, is there?

    I'm a big fan of Dunkaroo's that I used to eat when I was little but I can't find them anywhere. I'm hunting though. Surely they still are sold somewhere! I'm also embarassed that I like those crackers with the cheese and the red stick spreader. Oh, and I pretty much eat peanut butter and jelly on the daily.

    Yikes, I just realized I REALLY need to grow up, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fact that you seriously considered ordering Wheat Thins from Amazon. Don't worry, you are not the only one with a crazy food obsession. I LOVE cracked black pepper and sea salt cashews from Marks and Spencers. Everytime my parents go to England, I have them bring back stacks of them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Squeeze cheese on vegitable things. I'm pretty sure this combo is probably one of the worst things for your arteries ever. But I'm addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete