Monday, June 15, 2009

a slightly creepy weekend

Back in high school, at one point I was best friends with this girl named Faith. Faith was a lot of fun, always made me laugh like no one else could, and was my partner in crime. She was a lot gutsier and more outgoing than I was, which made her great to be around. Faith was also not very mature and had some other traits as well. She was not responsible with money, would always cut school and would lie like you would not believe. When we were in high school and shared a locker and several classes, it was very easy to be friends with her. However, after college, she seemed to disappear off the face of the earth. I would always contact her and try to make plans and then weeks or months would go by without any contact until one day she'd be like "want to hang out?" and you'd get together and it would be like nothing was wrong. Apparently, I was not the only person she did this to.

Like I said, Faith was not very responsible. She dropped out of two colleges, and it seemed like every few months, she would have a new job, a new boyfriend, a new apartment, or choice d- all of the above. She was also terrible with money. Whenever we hung out, she would "forget" her wallet at home, or her paycheck wouldn't have cleared, or something else happened, and I always seemed to end up paying for both of us. Again, I was not the only person she did this to. She even got evicted out of one or two apartments. She ended up owing quite a few of her friends money, and when that was combined with the fact that she would only resurface once every few months, it was very easy to write her out of your life. One by one, all of her friends started to drop. I sent her several messages on and wall posts on facebook asking to hang out (I don't have her number because that is another thing that seems to change pretty frequently). Eventually, I too accepted the fact that our friendship was not meant to be.

Because we were pretty much inseparable in high school, people still associate me with her. On Saturday, I got a friend request from a girl that I have never heard of. The message that she sent along with the friend request said:
Hi Tall Girl mentioned you as another of Faith's closer friends & we're all pretty desperate to track her down now.
In particular, do you know the intersection/address where she was nannying? We will gladly GO there and find out. Last time u heard from her?

I have not heard from Faith in months and the last time that she has had any activity on her facebook account was February 3rd. I did not accept this girl's friend request but it really freaked me out. I have no idea who she is, or what she wants from Faith. I don't know if she is a concerned friend or someone that Faith owes money to and is out to hurt her. I don't know if Faith is just being MIA again or if she got in with some bad people and is in trouble. Generally, tracking down random strangers on the internet and asking them to give you the addresses of where their friends work with little children is not a good look.

12 comments:

  1. weird!!! What are your next steps? xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no that sounds like a terrible situation! Good for you on not friending that shady girl. That is such a weird thing for that person to have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's weird! But I'm glad you didn't befriend her on Facebook, especially as she works with small children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your decision.Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strange indeed! Is Faith her real name? 'Cause she sounds exactly like my former friend Jenny. If you ever watch the show Intervention on A&E you will see people like Jenny and Faith and all their problems each week. So sad. "Friends" like these will drag you down one way or another. Stay far far away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My best friend from HS is/was EXACTLY that way! This was eerie to read.

    About two years ago I got a myspace from an old coworker of his, desperate to find him.

    For me, he was already MIA and years later I still haven't tracked him down. Not that I'd give the coworker his info, but I wanted to try to pass along her kind sentiments.

    Maybe Faith and Tom (my friend) are disappeared somewhere together- they sound like two of a kind!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so weird. I would maybe message the girl who contacted you and let her know that you don't have information, but would love to know what she finds out. I'm sure she's pretty desperate if she's had to resort to finding other friends on FB... If Faith really is as flakey as you describe, I doubt it's something sinister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! How strange. I'm sorry you were put in that position! Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is sort of intense. I don't think I would have responded either, you don't know what intentions this girl has.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOAH! That is totally sketch! Good call on not friending that girl! Let us know if anything else happens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh that is super creepy!! i owe a bunch of money but at least its just to banks and not friends. i think you definitely made the right move not friending someone you don't know!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes! Good call on not friending her or giving out any info.

    ReplyDelete