Friday, August 14, 2009

I have nothing to wear but my pearls

I wrote in my last post about my wardrobe foibles and lack of suitable clothing to wear to England next month. Yesterday, I spent 3.5 hours shopping, and at the end of the night, all I had to show for it were to white camisoles to wear under shirts from White House, Black Market, and a pair of (free) underwear from the Gap. While I'm sure TLS wouldn't mind if I walked around his house in just my underwear and pearls, he's not going to be appreciative of me doing that in public. I absolutely cannot fathom as to why not?

Fortunately, tomorrow I have a girl date with Preppy Coastee, and we plan on hitting up the essentials: Lilly Pulitzer and Alice's Tea Cup. (Sometimes, dates with girls are so much better than dates with guys.) I am hoping, nay, praying, to find something that works on me. With this in mind, I present you with my favorite things, the Lilly Pulitzer fall edition.

**Side note: while I am a huge fan of Lilly Pulitzer, particularly the polos, I feel like a lot of the clothes are just not designed for my lifestyle. I'm 26 years old and live north of the Mason-Dixon line in a city where black is the new black. I just can't be walking around wearing a pink and orange glow in the dark sundress. This is why I like the fall collections more, when they focus on darker colors. Does anyone else feel the same way?**

I need a dress for date night- drinks at the Ice Bar proceeded or followed by dinner at a place with a fully functioning heating system, and then, of course, Phantom on the West End. So far these are the ones I've had my eye on.

Jonah Dress Printed, $168
I am not sure how this dress will look on me, but I love the combination of navy, white, and pink, so I have to give it a shot.

Marcella Tunic Dress, Paisley, $168
Marcella Tunic Dress, Printed, $168
Sabine Shirt Dress Crinkle, $168
Also, I am constantly searching for long-sleeve shirts and sweaters. Despite the fact that I cannot stand inclement (read: anything colder/worse than 73 degrees and perfectly sunny with no humidity whatsoever) weather, I love long sleeve shirts. Here's what I've had my eye on.

Hazel Henley Heathered, $58
Hazel Henley, $58Hazel Henley, $58(No, I don't see a pattern here. Why? Do you?)

Hollin Sweater Solid, $98
I love a good v-neck sweater. It can really open up your face and be so flattering. It is a wardrobe staple and every girl should have one.

Hollin Sweater Novelty, $118

Please please please pray to the retail gods for me that something works out for me this weekend and I am able to get clothes! You are supposed to spend money in a recession, after all.

As a side note, if you have not yet done so, be sure to sign up for my beverage swap! :) I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and I can't wait to read about it.

12 comments:

  1. I love Lilly shift dresses too...but not conducive for me to wear everyday while chasing around a 15 month old.
    I do love the polos! They are fabulous!
    I love your thought about black is the new black...I feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my coloring I can only get away with so much pink and orange, I have dark auburn hair, but I do love darker colors, and I am loving the Marcella Paisley dress! You know London has some pretty fantastic shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree about lilly and don't have a ton of occasions to wear shift dresses so I LOVE all of their polos, sweaters, and the fall dresses...so cute! Have a great weekend and I hope you find some great goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the shopping!! Keep us updated on what you find :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you on the black is the new black! I live in a city very similar where as much as I love the styles of Lilly most of the prints just don't fit in with a working girl in the city! Good luck shopping! Can't wait to hear if you got anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you 100% about the city and black, ugh. I have been wearing all my pretty colors down here in FL my family is sick of it LOL I love the navy & green combos, what a nice change from black or brown. I just got a dark blue/maybe navy Calypso dress at the outlets here and am DYING to wear it in early Fall. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. My fave is the Sabine Shirtdress. It was so cute when I saw it in person, but I didn't have time to try it on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Just wanted to let you know that you won my Lauren Lipton book giveaway! Email me with your info and I can get it to you!

    xo
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. good luck with your shopping! I agree with you 100% about Lilly. I also live above the mason dixon line, and it is quite freezing where I live at points, so it is not always appropriate to wear hot pink and green out. Especially for a night out to a nice restaurant, or a night out on the town with girlfriends. I think these fall Lilly pieces are so perfect for a night on the town, but also appropriate for work in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the first dress! The henley is cute too.

    My local Lilly store is not getting Fall items until October!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have fun shopping-
    cant wait to see your finds.
    Love all you posted;)

    ReplyDelete