Monday, May 11, 2009

gift advice for a friend

One of my good friends asked me to make a blog post for her asking for your advice. She is looking to buy "Thank You" gifts for her thesis committee. There are four women on it, all are in their mid 30's to early 40's. All four women have small children and two of them just gave birth. She is looking to spend around $40 on each gift. The gifts don't have to all be the same. Directly from her:
I want to get the nicest present for the post doc with small kidsthe next two nicest presents for the genetic counselor with small kids and the genetic counselor who just gave birthand then the least nice present for the doctor who just gave birth.

Can any of you ladies recommend good gifts for her? Thanks in advance for your help!

9 comments:

  1. I gave my second and third thesis readers gifts for mani/pedis (my first reader was a man, and my advisor, and my general life-coach so I got him a first edition of a book we cited all the time). Anyway, after a loooong school year and reading all my bad grammar and nonsensical paragraphs they both said it was the best gift ever! I know it doesn't correlate to kids, but especially new moms, despite loving their babies, need some 'me' time. I would also maybe give some sessions at Gymboree? I don't know much about it but I have friends who are moms and take their small kids all the time (Note: not for infants).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am huge fan of giving coffee table books or nice wine. And, many thanks for entering the swap. I am SOOO excited. Xoxo-BLC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have her try Jeni's ice cream! This is a gift EVERYONE loves without fail. I have given it a number of times and you can select the flavors based on the person. It is around $70 for six pints so perhaps she could order ten, split them up in baskets with an ice cream scoop just in time for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell her to pick up *jewelry without jewels* necklaces!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. massages are always a great gift! or a spa combo deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the massages/spa gift certificate idea. A real treat for new moms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that anything at the spa is a great idea mani/pedis are always appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personalized Stationery...you can't go wrong with an embossed set of stationery with their names or initials!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spa certificates are always loved!
    xxxx me

    ReplyDelete