Monday, May 4, 2009

Mondays suck more than I thought

So I know I owe y'all a weekend recap, but this ain't it. Thank you to everyone to commented on my post today and emailed me words of encouragement. Unfortunately, I got the short end of the stick in a professional situation, and now it looks like I will pretty much not be seeing the light of day until my trip to Chicago. I calculated that I won't even get the chance to get a mani/pedi/eyebrow wax before I go, and thankfully it's KMH to the rescue, who promised me that we could go for mani/pedis on Friday.

I stayed at work until 7:30 and then decided to bring my work home with me to my mother's house so I could watch Gossip Girl and do some work on her computer. I got an im from AJB, my old college roommate. She got married last summer in July and unfortunately there was quite a bit of drama between me and her surrounding her wedding and the bridal party. Her and her husband lived together for two years before getting married, and they had a few issues, but that's normal for any couple. At the wedding, all of our friends were saying that they thought that her and Steve were the perfect couple and how they were soulmates, would last forever, blah blah. I had this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach (call it woman's intuition) that the two of them just wouldn't last and would probably not make it past a year, but what are you supposed to do at a wedding? Tell the bride and all her friends that you think she's making a mistake? I think not. I smiled, took a lot of pictures, and drank my cosmo in silence. After the wedding, we didn't talk for a while. She would im and text me from time to time, and every time I asked about Steve, she would quickly change the subject. Once again, I had an off feeling, but couldn't say anything. Today, I'm sitting here trying to do a financial report, and I get an im from her, we start talking and all of a sudden she says "so I left Steve in December." I was stunned and did not know what to say. He was abusing her both physically and emotionally. They tried counselling, but that only made the abuse worse. I asked her what took her so long to tell me- I could have come and stayed with her so she felt safe or let her move in with me, and she told me that only like 5 people know because she is embarrassed. She's 25 and already has a failed marriage under her belt. I feel so bad for her and hate this asshole with every fiber of my being. (Those of you who read this blog regularly know how much that is, because I despise profanity.) In addition to physically hurting one of my best friends and stealing time from her that she will never get back, he made her doubt herself, which is even worse. She grew up from a blue collar family and got several scholarships and worked all through college to support herself. After graduating with honors, she got an MSW in one year, again completely on her own without anyone's support. She has worked in women's shelters and has made such a difference for so many people's lives, she really is one of the most incredible and inspiring people I know. Yet, despite all of her accomplishments, all that she is able to see right now is her failure. I wish there was a way that I could make her see that leaving a guy who is hurting you is a huge success, not a failure. It's the same thing she tells women in her shelter every day, I wish there was a way for her to see that for herself. I'm so upset right now and wish there was something I could do.

15 comments:

  1. How awful!

    I feel terrible for your friend's situation. I can only hope that she gets through it okay with the help of great friends like you!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are helping her...by listening to her and talking. Stay strong.

    I hope your week gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so sad! feel confident that she was finally able to confide in you and know that you can help her through this. i hope both of yall can stay strong and get through this! my thoughts are with yall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is terrible but, you are doing the right thing by just being a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While it is so sad what happened to her at the same time the fact that she left him shows what a strong and amazing person she is. Women like her make me proud! And just being a shoulder for her to lean on is being a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, you are helping her by being a friend. hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awful but you have to look on the bright side - she left him! Big freakin' step! Kudos for being a good friend and listening when she needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give me her email address. I'll write once and only once... I haven't been in her exact shoes- but I have a story to share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear about your friend and her marriage.

    She is lucky to have a friend like you! (I went through something eerily similar to this a couple years back.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw what a tough situation. You seem like an amazing friend and she is so lucky to have you in her life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is lucky she has a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg how horrible.. im sorry love... i hate intuition sometimes, its always right!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just keep being such a good friend to her. Being the ex-girlfriend of an alcoholic, I endured quite a bit of emotional abuse. And it does sort of feel like failure, when you can't help the other person get better, and it hurts even more thinking of the fact why don't they love you enough to want to change and not do those things to hurt you. She's in a place that so many women have been before especially the women she helps. Just keep bein ga good friend to her. I was lucky and she is lucky to have such great friends to lean on and get support from. Stay Strong!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your friend sounds like an amazing woman, and she has nothing to be ashamed of.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad she was finally able to tell you! I will never understand why women don't see that leaving an abuser is a HUGE success, but....I have never been in that situation. I think that women who have been beaten down day after day have lost their sense of self, and they can't even think straight anymore. She is lucky to have a friend like you, and I have no doubt with the help of everyone who loves her she will regain her strength and confidence :)

    ReplyDelete