Wednesday, May 27, 2009

wedding situation update

After I posted my previous entry, TLS and I talked about it some more. Unfortunately, after Labor Day, I will not be able to come visit him because of work. After that, is the High Holy Days, and after that, I will be at a conference. Shortly after that, he is being sent to Turkey for Air Forcey stuff (the official name for it, clearly) and will not be back until January. Unfortunately, due to 1) the nature of my job, and 2) his vacation plans, I cannot see him before Labor Day. This means that if I don't go over Labor Day, I may not get to see him until 2010, and neither one of us is crazy about that option.

I was emailing with the bride today about her shower, and explained the situation to her. Fortunately, her groom is from Canada so they have been doing the whole uberlong distance thing for a bit and understand how there may only be certain times to see the other person. She said that she understands and won't be upset if I can't make it and is grateful to me for throwing the shower. I wish I could make it to her wedding, but it just doesn't seem like an option for me, both logistically and financially. So unless something changes with my job or TLS's assignment, I will be going over to England at the beginning of September. I got quite a few comments and emails about this, with opposing viewpoints, and I want to thank everyone who replied with either viewpoint. The situation is what it is, and now that I know that the bride is understanding and won't be upset with me, I got confirmation from the one person whose opinion mattered more than all the others.

I am already excited for this trip and am beginning to look up things to do for when I go over there. I have been to London once before and am so excited to go back! Do you have any "must do" things in England? If so, please share them. Note that I will be travelling with a boy, so anything overly girly will be vetoed by him.

7 comments:

  1. I studied in London for five weeks and I kept heading back to Wagamama for asian food! It's soooo good! We would go there for a late dinner and sake bombs before going out :) definitely check it out! There are locations all over london

    ReplyDelete
  2. You handled that perfectly (and much better than I would have :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad it all worked out and the bride is cool with you missing the wedding!
    p.s. i agree that Wagamama is awesome. i lived on Hyde Park in college and would walk over to High Kensington to the one on there

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad this worked out! WHEW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that the bride was so understanding, as long as she is not upset I know you can feel good about your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, i commented on the other post before i saw this one. yay for trips to england :)

    ReplyDelete