Wednesday, March 25, 2009

can they do this?

On Friday, I ordered lunch for myself and a coworker and put it on my credit card. The guy taking my order told me that it would be $22.50. When he ran my card through, he accidentally typed in $2.25 instead of $22.50. This was what was on my receipt when the delivery guy came and that is what I signed for. Today, I checked my credit card statement online, and it showed that they had debited my account for the $22.50 plus tip. Considering this is the amount I was supposed to pay, that's fine. I'm just a little surprised/confused as to why they debited this amount after I had already signed the receipt. I thought that after a customer signs for something, the price can't be changed, and if the store/establishment marks the price down wrong, then they are obligated to give you the lower price. Any thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. You should request they fax you full backup an insist next time you will require a corrected receipt before they run your card again. I Think they were trying to save everyone time and just re-ran the check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... do u have your original receipt for $2 something? If so you can call your credit card company to dispute. But karmic wise if you were supposed to pay that I think I just would anyway... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does suck. I don't think they can do that, but I'm not sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can call and dispute it with your CC company they will contact the vendor and the vendor will have to provide a signed copy since you signed the copy that says $2.25 they maybe SOL. and you may have an extra $20 bucks in your pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They probably realized their mistake and tried to catch it, I wouldn't worry about it since you owed that amount in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. call and dispute with your credit card company. The same thing happened to my friend. I also had another friend who signed and the server added a $20 tip on top so when he checked his statement his cc co took care of everything but I make sure to double check all mine.

    ReplyDelete