Wednesday, March 25, 2009

credit card update

So as an update to the post down below. I called and spoke with my credit card company. I explained to the woman that I knew that the charge was going to be $22.50 and I was fully prepared to pay that. What I did not appreciate was the fact that 1) they changed the amount after I had signed the receipt, 2) they had my cell phone number on file and yet no one bothered to call me and say "we're sorry we made a mistake and will have to void the charge and run it through again," and 3) they added on an extra $0.20 to the tip that I had signed for (I left a generous tip, based on the $22.50 amount, not the $2.25). Obviously the $0.20 is not a big deal at all or the fact that they charged me for the amount that I was prepared to pay, it's the principle of the fact that they fudged around with my credit card information without giving me any notification. After having been a victim of identity theft, I am very careful about monitoring my card. The woman at the credit card company told me that it all seems really shady and that I should file an investigation for them to look into it.

10 comments:

  1. EEWWWW! I didn't realize they changed the tip amount too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they definitely are supposed to contact you before they do anything like that. i would call the restaurant and warn them that if they do not fix this and do the appropriate businesslike thing, and not charge you AT ALL, you will then file the investigation. and still file the investigation anyway, this just sounds like pure not safe credit card business... yuck-sorry this happened to you!@

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would 100% COMPLETELY call the restaurant and ask to speak to the General Manager. When I waitressed, we were NOT allowed to alter credit card receipts without consent of the card carrier.

    That should NOT have happened - at all. It really should have been "their loss".

    Also - sadly, there's a chance that the server could have changed it and pocketed the money. I knew (but did not care for or associate with) a few servers who did that.

    PLEASE CALL NOW!!!

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  4. that all just sounds a bit sketchy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep. Im with Prep-E girl call the restaraunt. They shouls atleast give you some sort of credit or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you should definitely call the manager. They are not supposed to change your information. I think that they might have the authority to charge you the amount that they were supposed to, but they canNOT change the tip amount. You wrote that in your own handwriting. To change that would be illegal and unethical! My shoe size is 8 and I'm looking spend 100 or less. Thanks for the help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be sssoo upset! I hope you called the manager and blessed him out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh snap. I missed the part where they adjusted the tip - I'd dispute the charge with the company. And never order from this place again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree in that you need to call. I once had a similar experience where I added on a tip and the waitress add in a zero. I called the restaurant and spoke to the manager who fixed everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree- I would be really upset too! because what's stopping them from billing you $2000 next week? Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete