Wednesday, April 22, 2009

making green bags even greener

Being that today is Earth Day, we are inundated with blog posts, online specials, google images, etc. about being green and eco-friendly. As someone who generally despises trends, I am not happy that caring for our environment has become a trend, but being that I love Earth Day and participate in events when I can and try to be green whenever possible, I am thrilled that people who otherwise wouldn't care care about the environment are starting to be aware of their actions. As most people know, one of the easiest things that a person can do to be greener is to use a reusable canvas bag instead of a plastic grocery bag when (s)he goes grocery shopping or runs errands. These bags are being sold everywhere in different sizes, colors, patterns, etc. I have a few and I have to say that this one is my personal favorite- My Bag Cares.

I received it from a fundraising event that was held at ny job and I love it. The bag is huge and I use it when I'm going to the post office or have to drop off dry cleaning. While I will be the first to admit that this bag is not the most attractive option out there (I love the aesthetic factor of the Flip & Tumble tote that I won from Megs a lot more), it is a unique one. Not only are these bags eco-friendly, but for every bag that is purchased, the company plants one tree! (My job planted a lot of trees!) I am absolutely in love with this concept and have to give major snaps to the company for doing this. The bags are available on the website for $25.

Insert shameless plug here: people who see me carrying my bag have asked me where to get one before. My job has several left if people are interested. However, because I work for a non-profit and these bags were purchased for a fundraising event, if you would like one, please contact me and we will be happy to send you one in return for a donation.

8 comments:

  1. I love all the cute reusable bags they are coming out with now. There's no excuse NOT to use one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these posts to keep up with!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It indeed looks like a great bag! I seem to have quite the collection of my own now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not too sure how I feel about this green trend. I guess I'm just worried it won't stick around. Here's to hoping it does!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking about how I need a bag like this! Especially to carry groceries and what not up in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool post! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I love reusable bags. And America is slow catching on - its a huge deal in Europe and everyone uses them a ton there!

    I use reuseable bags for EVERYTHING - from shopping to giftwrap to over-night luggage. I have a ton and its the new 'hot' give away at conventions. And I'd be SUPER happy to donate for one of your cute ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I'm happy it's now acceptable to be green - posted about it yesterday as it's becoming more mainstream, but that's definitely a good thing. After watching Oprah yesterday, I never want to use a plastic bag again!

    ReplyDelete