Wednesday, April 1, 2009

sorority life

I cannot go into a lot of details here because I don't know if any of my girls know about this blog or not, but all I will say is that I am no longer a sorority advisor. I know I should at least be a little upset or nostalgic about this, but the truth of the matter is that I'm actually a little relieved. As much as I love my sorority, I do not love spending 6 hours commuting to and from a meeting where the girls are completely rude to me and roll their eyes at me in a meeting (really classy, I know) and blatantly lie to me about everything. To any sorority girls that are still in college reading this: be nice to your advisors. They have it a lot tougher than you think. I don't want to post too many details on here, but if any of y'all want to hear more or exchange advisor horror stories, feel free to email me.

8 comments:

  1. I can imagine your relief I know how hard it can be:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, that's so unfortunate! I'm sure they'll appreciate you once you're gone. I'm sorry you didn't receive the respect an advisor should. Now, just take a big deep breath, kick up your feet and let it all go. Or you could just get a pedicure, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 100% feel you pain. I am a chapter advisor and it is so so hard. Not only dealing with snotty child-like adults but sometimes their parents too! Its like manners are non-existent in college or something. It really wears on me sometimes and I have woken up in tears in the middle of the night over things ppl said to or about me. Being the "big boss lady" is soooo hard. Good for you for walking away. Is it bad that I am jealous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sickening that they treated you that way. We loved our advisors in college. I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sad to hear that you have left the advising world but can completely understand at the same time. I have been meeting with my officers in teams over the last few weeks and tonight I should have had 13 girls meeting with me. 5 showed up and only two let me know why. I think sometimes that all of this is some horrid characteristic of the current generation b/c I would have never treated an adult the way college-age girls treat adult these days. I'm hoping this phase will end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you had to go through all that, sounds terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I obviously have been slack in my reading because I'm just now seeing this. I'll talk to you later, dear. :) I'll say this for now, though: You're amazing and they will know just how much when you're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just ran across your blog as I try to join this preppy Southern blogging community. I thought about being an advisor but maybe it was a good idea not to after all! I think behavior on college campuses is changing a lot and not in a good way. I'm glad you are finished. Plus that was a ridiculous commute.

    ReplyDelete