Thursday, April 30, 2009

a question for all my Parrotheads

After thinking about it long and hard (insert "that's what she said" here), I decided that my birthday gift to myself will be tickets to Buffett for J and I. We talked about doing this for a while, but now I am having second thoughts. Here's why:

The concert is at Jones Beach. Anyone who is familiar with the area knows that Jones Beach is dry. You cannot bring in alcohol or consume it on the property. They don't sell it at the concession stands because most people drive there and they want to discourage drunk driving. I have a flask with my name engraved on it, and can sneak that in, along with maybe my Nalgene bottle from Vineyard Vines, full of margaritas of course. J and I had originally talked about tailgating, and he said that it's hard at Jones Beach, but not impossible. The concert is on a Wednesday night, and my original thought was that we were going to take off work that day and tailgate and pregame before the show. Last year was my first time going to a Buffett concert. Before it, we tailgated and drank for 13 straight hours. I'm not saying that I need to drink to have a good time, but when someone has songs titled Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw?, Margaritaville, and It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere, you do not go to that concert sober. It ruins half the experience. J will be starting a new job that week, and told me that he isn't going to be able to take that day off. By the time I get done with work and make it out to Long Island, it will be close enough to the show that we won't have time to get dinner and drinks somewhere. I don't know if I want to spend like $5-700 on orchestra seats when we won't have half the experience. I would maybe get cheaper seats, except that 1) I'm kind of a seat snob, and 2) Buffett tickets are expensive, and even the nosebleed section would be like $300 for the two of us. I have zero desire to pay that money to see a show when all I'll be seeing is the back of an inebriated 300 pound frat boy with a parrot on his head and an inflatable shark in his hands. I really really really want to go to this concert, but I don't know if it will be the same now. What do y'all think?

11 comments:

  1. I vote for the flask. Don't go tailgate alone, that would just be depressing.

    OR - is there a Margaritaville restaurant somewhere near you? That's a pretty good time, too, and they usually have a guy making balloon hats. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest sister always though the song was "Get Drunk and Go To School." Hehe. Go for it, JB is always a blast!!! Dry and all. Xoxo-BLC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, there is nothing wrong with 300lb frat boys (check out this week's post regarding my Buffett Concert exprience ::gring::). I can agree that if you can't take off of work, then it is hard to preparty... and weekday shows suck for that very reason.

    During they concert Saturday, Jimmy did mention that he'll return in Fall... so maybe the tour will continue, and you'll get another chance to see him? I know, a long shot. Or maybe you can go to another city to see him... we did this last yr and it was tons of fun.

    So strange he's performing on Wed.... I thought he only performed Tues, Thurs, & Sat... hense his CD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Tom Petty at Jones Beach a few years ago and had so much fun! Going to a Buffett concert mid-week is tricky, is he playing close enough to you on the weekend that you could maye do a weekend get-away to see him??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to a few Buffett concerts and the tailgating part is 75% of the experience in my opinion! Even though I'm a big Buffett fan, I don't think I'd spend the money on a concert that I couldn't tailgate at. But that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't take your nice flask, in case they seize it, that would be sad :( they have cheap plastic flasks at wal-mart or target, we usually get those and use medical (or duct) tape and tape them around our torsos or/and thighs (i have tucked one in btw my boobs...awkward) and if you wear cowboy boots you can tuck them in there:) glad my raging alcoholism has helped me help someone else. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine a jimmy buffett concert sober. flask it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh that is a tough one! I agree the parking lot is 75% but the concert is good too!I have been going since 95 and I think I have only missed a random year or two!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your "that's what she said" comment cracked me up! thanks to michael scott I say that phrase in my head a lot...i am turning into the 300lb frat boy you mentioned! tough choice....buffet concerts are so much fun, but a midweek concert is tricky. Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need to get the Reef flip flops with the flask in the sole! LOL!

    -E

    ReplyDelete